I have a problem

PennyM

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 17, 2017
Greenville, SC
My sister found this in the coop this morning. So far all five of our girls have been acting normal, eating, pooping, etc. We've been getting at least four eggs from our five girls but we're only getting one blue/green egg a day from our 2 EEs. One had laid eggs all winter just like the other one did the winter before last (no extra lighting used). Our Welsummer doesn't lay as often as the other hens but after four days, she laid 2 days in a row (she usually goes about every 2 days). The other two are every day like clockwork after winter. So how do I know who this belongs to and what do we do now? There was no shell. Thanks!
IMG_3507.JPG

If it is a soft egg, then one of them probably stood on it and then once open, became a food source. This happens from time to time with ours - even though they have plenty of oyster shell. It just happens. It shouldn't happen regularly though. I'm guessing your oyster shell or other source is plentiful?

If on the other hand, you think it has broken inside one of your girls, go and catch each one and look around the vent for signs of yolk. If there is, then you need to either seek a vet (which is what I would do) or get further advice from here.

What I would do, is bathe her in warm water with some Epsom Salts and then reach out for more help (on here or at the vet). Clearly the risk is egg peritonitis if it is broken inside and, from the little I know about that, it is not good and time is of the essence.

Hope that helps and doesn't scare. Good luck!

Thanks for replying. I have no access to a vet so will have to do this myself. I don't think it's a soft egg because of the blood.

Sorry, I couldn't see if it was blood or just the caecal droppings they do from time to time.

I hope someone else can provide an answer. If it is proper blood, then it could be coccidiosis - if the hens are very young or are suffering from workms (as the coccidiosis can become a problem if they are compromised by worms or another illness).

Have you had more eggs since you first posted? Are there the same number of eggs as hens - ie they are all laying? If not, can you identify who is or isn't laying?

That's my level of knowledge reached now I'm afraid. Someone else will need to come in a help.

My sister found this in the coop this morning. So far all five of our girls have been acting normal, eating, pooping, etc. We've been getting at least four eggs from our five girls but we're only getting one blue/green egg a day from our 2 EEs. One had laid eggs all winter just like the other one did the winter before last (no extra lighting used). Our Welsummer doesn't lay as often as the other hens but after four days, she laid 2 days in a row (she usually goes about every 2 days). The other two are every day like clockwork after winter. So how do I know who this belongs to and what do we do now? There was no shell. Thanks!
View attachment 1727110

Thanks for replying. I have no access to a vet so will have to do this myself. I don't think it's a soft egg because of the blood.
Have you physically picked up each hen and looked at her vent to make sure there is no prolapse or evidence of blood around one of the vents?

@Wyorp Rock Yes, we have and we couldn't see any signs of blood or yolk. I even stuck my finger up their vents a little and couldn't feel anything. So far they are all acting normal and we haven't seen any more yolk or bloody poop.

How old are your hens? Sometimes when a bird comes back into lay after molt or winter there can be glitches in the system while things get going again. It's possible that it's nothing more than that. A tiny amount of blood a single time could have been a blood vessel burst, which can happen with a large or misshapen egg on occasion. Do they have free access to oyster shell for calcium? Without any other information I would just keep a close eye to see if you have a repeat occurrence, or if anyone starts to look a bit off and might be ill. If you can ID who is laying and who may not be it might help. Feel all the abdomens below the vent and between the legs for any bloating, that could indicate a reproductive problem, but if it's early then it may not be obvious.

@Wyorp Rock @casportpony I'm not sure if this is related to the "problem" of the above which is why I called in our resident poop expert. Since the yolk-y, bloody dropping happened almost a week ago, the girls have been acting normal, etc. This afternoon I was out in the run and saw one of my EEs pooping and this was the result.
thumbnail.jpg

Is that normal, coming out in a long rope like that? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom