I have a problem

mrsmaonaigh

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 2, 2010
SE Georgia
I think I'm addicted to looking for eggs. After three weeks of getting eggs it still hasn't gotten old. In fact it is usually the highlight of my day to run outside and check for eggs. FINE! I confess! Sometimes I'm out there MANY times a day looking for eggs. Will the newness eventually wear off? Or will it still be exciting? I think my husband is getting tired of hearing me analyze the different shades of egg colors we are getting, which hens are using which boxes etc etc. I've got chicken fever bad.

Quote:
Amen
old.gif

I just read that it takes 25 hours to make an egg. So, each day the egg will arrive an hour later, till it "resets " to morning again. The book is The Joy of Keeping Chickens by Jennifer Megyesi. Got it at the library.

Yes, you have a problem. BYC is your support group. You are understood here. None of us mind discussing the varying shades of brown. Taupe, tan, kitten nose pink, it's all here. Now, repeat after me "Hi, my name is Norma, and I'm a chicken addict."
Feel better?

My hubby HATED my chickens until they started laying eggs.....Now he is obsessed with the eggs, how many...why are the broody bantams not laying....how long till they start laying eggs again...What can I do to make them stop being broody so they will lay eggs.

He proudly sells the eggs at work

and now I have 19 ready to start laying anytime and HE cannot wait for "His" newer chickens to start laying!

Suddenly they are his and not mine anymore.
Just makes me laugh (And so long as he lets me continue keeping chickens they can be his anytime he wants them to be his!!!)
Caroline

I read 24 hours and mine pretty much do lay at the same time everyday.

Mine also hatched chicks on the 20th day instead of day 21 - imagine my surprise - I was not ready for that early surprise.

Caroline

You know you have a very simple life when checking the nesting boxes is the highlight of your day! Or sitting beside one of the boxes while your littlest EE lays her egg so Dolly the Alpha Hen won't pull her out by her head!

Mine must not have any idea they are suppose to be on a schedule...Rita is usually first but the others are all over the place, even those who have been laying since the middle of July. Somehow I always get the weird animals.
th.gif

Hi, My name is Bunny, and I am also a chicken addict. I enjoy every aspect of raising the chicks! I've had chickens for 10 years and I still haven't lost the excitement. I just added 13 light brahma chicks and 12 barred rocks to my family yesterday.
One of the barred rock chicks ( a roo) has 2 bent feet. It looks like the right one was broken. I fixed a band-aid splint for him and he is walking a bit more normal today. He is huge, compared to the other chicks. It looks like he hatched out of a duck egg instead of a chicken egg. I think he will be OK. Before I put the band-aid on him he could only walk on his elbows. (I guess chickens have elbows) I can't wait until I get some eggs. My first group of chicks is about 3 months old now and they are soooo pretty!
Does anyone have any suggestions for a cute name for him?
Thanks,
yippiechickie.gif
Bunny!

Quote:
LOL!!!! Im there too.... even my kids are little addicts....Its the conversation when they get home from school. First question how many eggs!!!!

Back
Top Bottom