I have a questio need help

teebo

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 31, 2007
i ordered 12 SQ silkie eggs from a woman that sells on ebay,most of the chicks feet are deformed and now one has a scissorbeak.i have proof through paypal that i paid her,she is insisting that these are not her chicks,when they are hers.in the beginning,i complained to her about the extra toes and she said she was going to remove her hen,because the deformity travels in the genes,then when i sent her an email,telling her about the one getting scissor beak,she went crazy and started calling me a scammer?i know her selling name on ebay,and she does have good feedback,i have contacted paypal.to see if i can retrieve some of my funds as these chicks are not showable and cant be bred.what do you think?

From what I understand about incubators human error can cause defects in chicks. I would give her positive feedback and pay for what you got and just do not buy from her again if you truly think its her hen that has the problem. Probably not what you wanted to hear but you cant hold someone accountable if you dont know 100% they need to be held accountable.

Deformities can be caused by lots of things. Temp or humidity in the incubator, not turning often enough or properly, bad diet while growing, bad feed even if it is the right kind... It's highly doubtful you can make a claim on this. Plus even when buying off the internet you shouldn't expect anything near show quality unless you've done your research. If you want to standard anywhere near show quality birds you should research a good breeder and request eggs from them or go to a show and purchase birds or eggs from birds you see. Not just go by what's on ebay. Good feedback usually just means the seller can ship eggs well and they usually hatch. It says nothing about the quality of the birds. Alot of the pics on ebay are "borrowed" from other sources as well and if they aren't then they are going to be a pic of that person's best bird not their average bird. Buying online really is just a chance you take. Even if I don't always agree with it I do understand the reason this forum gets upset when people advertise eggs or the parent birds when selling eggs as show quality.

Do you mean your silkies have 6 toes? Cause silkies already have more toes than most breeds. They are amongst the approximately 5 breeds that do have 5 toes.

The eggs were under my silkie hen,i did not use an incubator.

this person should be selling SQ eggs when they are not Show quality

First not every chick that hatches from show quality parents will be show quality. If you got eggs from the best champion in the country right now you still might only get 1 really good bird out of a single batch of those eggs. You may not get any. If you want a champion show quality anything expect to spend at least one generation breeding for it. Which in chickens means a year or 2. That's if you start with really good stock from someone that shows frequently. We have a purebred registered shiba puppy from good lines that have all been shown and would be considered "show quality". Well guess what... we got that shiba puppy for the price we did because she has a white mark on her nose that is a disqualifying mark. She couldn't set foot in a show ring even if her parents were the best in the country. You can't predict these things. You can only improve your breeding program each time they happen which the breeder said she was pulling that hen.

Now if we talk about birds that aren't champions and just meet the standard in order to be shown then you may not get a show quality bird for generations. If something meets standard you could call it show quality and not be lying. It doesn't have to go to a show or win. It just has to match standard and be capable of going in a ring without DQ and you've got show quality. The bottom of the "show quality" animals will probably never produce anything that can win in the first generations and half their offspring may not even be to standard.

That's why buying "show quality" online means pretty much nothing unless you do further research into the breeder. If you so badly wanted birds that you could show or breed show birds from you should go find a breeder who you know shows successfully or has a strict breeding program. Then you should expect to spend a year or 2 breeding out any possible problems that show up in that generation before saying you have show quality birds. If you can't wait that long and you really want to know what you're getting then go buy some grown birds that you can see the quality of.

Buying off ebay you really got about what most would expect. I'd have mentioned the problems with the chicks to the seller which you did. The fact she is now agreeing to pull the hen for the deformity shows she is trying to improve her lines and I'd have no problem with her. I think filing a paypal claim is beyond excessive. You had too high of expectation for the lack of research you put into what you bought.

I do not use eBay. I had an eBay email asking for my bank account info to update their records. I'm not giving anyone my banking info. Next I got another email saying there was a complaint being filed against me for selling something on eBay. I never did find out what it was that I was supposedly selling. I have never bought or sold anything on eBay. I don't even know how they got my email address.

I don't think there is much that can be done. I think it is buyer beware. Write a review/feedback. Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom