I have a question about my RIR's combs...

gumpsgirl

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Mar 25, 2008
Virginia
I have 12 RIR's that are 3 weeks old now. The combs on some of them are growing taller and getting very thick and have an orange tint to them. I have one that is a real pill and am getting more and more convinced everyday is a roo. His comb is one of them that is getting thick and taller. Does this mean that the chicks whose combs I have described are roos?
hu.gif
Some of them still have a short comb. Just curious!
big_smile.png

Most likely yes!!... You can tell RIRs apart by 4 weeks...just as you described the cockerals will be getting big red combs and wattles early on...the pullets comb stays quite small and pale...

Quote:
Oh dear! That is what I was worried about. That means that I have 4 pullets and 8 roos.
hmm.png
I guess my hubby can't argue with me about getting the 20 pullets that I have reserved at our local farm supply store now, can he?!?!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Yes. The problem here is that it is TOO MANY roos. Grrrrr.....
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh dear! That is what I was worried about. That means that I have 4 pullets and 8 roos.
hmm.png
I guess my hubby can't argue with me about getting the 20 pullets that I have reserved at our local farm supply store now, can he?!?!
big_smile.png

It's ok....lol...first time I ever got RIRs from the feedstore I grew out 5 roosters and 3 hens!!.....
th.gif

I've found that my RIRs were real easy to sex. The boy (one so far, but I have more hatching on Friday) is way behind the others in his feather growing. He also has thicker legs and is the last chick to be caught if we have to move them.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, that's what I thought too. I only had two that were way behind in the feather growing and was so excited to think that I only had to roos! Boy was I wrong! The others feathered out just like my four little pullets did. Don't count on the feathering to be accurate!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom