I have a question about poultry processing exemption PL 90-492

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by agapefarmfhl, Nov 3, 2014.

  1. agapefarmfhl

    agapefarmfhl In the Brooder

    May 6, 2014
    Hi, My wife and I process our own pastured poultry near Sacramento, California and i am curious about federal law 90-492 which is an exemption from USDA inspection.
    My question is, do I need to apply for this exemption, and if so how do I do that.

    Thank you!
  2. Ridgerunner

    Ridgerunner Free Ranging

    Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    I don't know. It sure looks like you are exempt if you process fewer than 20,000 a year and don't sell out-of-state but whether you have to apply for that exemption, I don’t know. You could call the USDA and ask them.

    But I’d be more concerned about California requirements, not the Federal ones. State requirements are usually a lot more stringent than Federal requirements. If you contact the California health department or whoever regulates that, they should be able to tell you California requirements but they may not be real forthcoming on Federal requirements. What I suggest is contact your county extension agent and talk to them about the Federal and State requirements. The agent probably won’t know the answers off the top of their heads but they should know who to contact to get accurate information. Some agents are better than others but this kind of stuff is why they have a job, to get answers to people like you.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  3. Buster52

    Buster52 Songster

    Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    It varies by state. My recollection is California is fairly strict. Check with your state department of ag. But there are some ca folks on here. Maybe they can help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: