I have a question for all you eggsperts out there.....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 4boysmom, Jan 27, 2009.

1. 4boysmom

4boysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    We are going to hatch eggs for my sons 2nd grade class at the end of April. The teacher ( we have hatched for her the last 2 years ) is wanting to do something a little different this year so the kids can have a better view of the hatching. So...read & see if you think this will work....

On day 18, she wants to move them to an aquarium set up to keep the heat up and the humidity up ( we will have to test ). Has anyone ever done this? Any suggestions on other ways to do this? My bator has the full view top, but she is wanting the view from the sides.

Thanks for your input!!![​IMG]

2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Yes someone on here did that a few weeks back. Try doing a search for aquarium bator or aquarium hatcher and see if you can find that thread.

3. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Hatch them in the incubator.

4. 4boysmom

4boysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Quote:This is my preference - I was wondering if we could rig up a webcam inside to use to project the bigger picture where the kids could see.

I may try it with some of the mutt eggs from my hens....

5. sben451

sben451 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Anniston, AL
    The webcam idea worked for us. Last year, we had a borrowed bator going, and in order for my grandson to be able to get a good view of what was going on inside the incubator, we placed the web cam on the plastic viewing window on top of the bator. We hooked it up to our TV and everyone could easily see the chicks hatching. We were able to move and adjust the camera part whenever needed without opening the incubator and disturbing the hatching process.

Correction: The camera we used was not a web cam, but a small surveillance camera that could be hooked to a TV.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    It's very hard to find webcams that cover a wide enough angle. Most of the eggs usually get rolled off cam. They also aren't detailed enough to show most pips. You can only see it after they start to zip and the shell gets pushed out alot.

I see no problem with the aquarium if you can get it to hold temps. I know several people have incubated the whole 21 days in an aquarium. It might help to take the sides you aren't looking through and cover them in something. You could even tape styrofoam over it and you'd have much the same insulation as a styrofoam cooler or bator with an extra large glass viewing screen on one side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by