I have a question

for my chicks that age, i already have them roaming around in their coop/pen but i do have a lamp on fro them just in case they want it. Most don't use it unless its extra chilly at night. I like to offer it anyways

I take it off around 8 weeks usually. If they are integrated into your flock or if you have multiple chicks they can snuggle to keep warm. To wean them off it I turn it off during the day and then on at night for a few days, and then just leave it off altogether.

I brood in our unheated garage. My last chicks I got in late August and I left it on a bit longer for them because at 7 weeks it was almost 20 degrees at night. I took it off at 9 weeks for them though.

I have some silkie chickens and they are 12 weeks old do they need a heat lamp still.
Depending on the weather if it’s cold, are your girls feathered yet? If not quite yet it doesn’t hurt to have a lamp, especially in pm. You can raised it little higher and higher each week until they don’t need it anymore. If your girls are in an enclosed area w/no draft they should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom