I have a Rhodebar hen who got sick three days ago won't get up

mamalove

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
My Rhodebar hen got sick around three days ago.She was limping at first so I checked her foot and there was a little cut.I cleaned it then wrapped it up in some tape.Two days latter she could not move at all.Her comb was purple but it is not cold here in Arizona.I would really like your guy's help.She is very close to death.

It could be so many different things that could be wrong. I would bring her inside in a basket, keep her warm, and feed her electrolyte solution by dipping her beak or giving some with a dropper. Offer her some raw or scrambled egg. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Is she having diarrhea, or sitting puffed up? How old is she? A purple comb may mean that her heart is not pumping enough oxegenated blood to her body.

Thanks for your reply but, she has passed away.I think she did have mareks disease.Thank you for all your help

Last edited:
Eggcessive is wonderful for giving excellent advice...please do not surmise that the problem was Mareks ..from your description of a purple comb it was more likely to have been from a respiratory disease..you can send her body for necropsy to establish the cause of death ...contact casportpony for details of how to send her for necropsy..it may confirm that she was or not suffering form Mareks..

So sorry for your sad loss.

I did a little more research and i was not mareks it must have been something else.

I'm sorry for your loss. A necropsy by your state vet would probably give you a cause of death. Refrigerate her body in a garbage bag, but do not freeze. There are so many reasons for illness in chickens, and most of the time they will hide their symptoms.

We have no vets In our area.I would not want to pay money to find out what happend to it.I do care about my chickens but I am only 13 years old.I don't make a lot of money so to pay the vet it would cost a lot of money to go and see one.

By the way I am using my mom's profile.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom