I have a serious goat question.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Whispering Winds, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

I went to get hay yesterday for my Alpacas, and the farmer has goats. He had four really pretty white ones, nice and fat and sleek. Then, he has one that was down on this belly and just sat there. I naturally walked over and had to talk to them, and when it got up, its hooves were like long pixie shoes. The farmer wasn't home (had to load by myself!!!) or I would have asked, but this has distressed me greatly, because that poor little thing was in such a condition it could not walk. What and why would you let it get this way, or does it have a condition that can't be helped? I can't understand why the other goats are just pretty as can be, and well taken care of, and this one is just a mess. Just wanted some goat people input. When I go back in a month or so, I am going to have to ask him, because I can't stand it.

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Needs a hoof trimming in a bad way. Maybe the farmer couldn't catch it to trim??? Still though, that's going a little too far, but I am attempting to give the benefit of the doubt since the others are well kept....that's just sad!

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Sounds like the goat may have foundered and his trying to correct it.. It may be a rescue .. You have to take very thin layers off once they get that bad ... I adopted a Nubian years ago and it took us two months of constant filing to get her feet semi-normal.. They never did fully go back to normal..

4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    On another note, maybe it's a rescue and the farmer is trying to socialize to get close enough to trim his feet...I hate to think it is as it seems...and the baby is just being neglected!

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    The first thought I had is that he just got the animal and hasnt had time to work on it

6. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    A rescue was my first thought too. I do hope that's the case. The worst case would be if the four healthy ones were the new goats.

7. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    Whe you said i have a goat "problem", and I read the farmer wasnt home part, I thought you were going to say you stole it. [​IMG]

8. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Sounds like they need to be trimmed BADLY [​IMG] I personally wouldn't wait a month to go back and question him about it. It would drive me insane knowing I hadn't gone and questioned the farmer or trimmed the goats hooves myself. I've put calves in my van before and drove off because they weren't being taken cared of. If the goat is a rescue...the sooner you ask the sooner you can put your mind at ease [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by