Molasses for arthritis in goats!

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Oh my goodness! My beloved pregnant Alpine doe was diagnosed with arthritis and prescribed meloxicam for pain. Well, it's been weeks on the meloxicam and it didn't help much. Turmeric didn't seem to help either. The doe's condition got worse, until she was walking around on her front knees, to get food, then back to her spot to rest. I gave her cooper sulfate foot baths, thinking she had laminitis; didn't help either. Well, today in anticipation of pregnancy ketosis, I gave each of the pregnant does a bowl of warm water and a few tablespoons of deer molasses https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...mium-wildlife-molasses-1-gal-evo21396-1357049. Then put in a call to the vet. Vet said the weight of her twins is making it hard for her to stand, give her the meloxicam, and don't breed her again. Amazingly though, all day today she has been walking around, gingerly, on her hooves! Apparently there is a lot of literature on blackstrap molasses for arthritis (for humans and goats), although this 'regular' molasses from TSC worked fine. Aside from antibiotics, I am really starting to wonder about pharmaceuticals. Anyway, I am just happy my doe is more mobile now, and in a way that is not toxic to her unborn kids.

That's interesting. Glad it's helping her. I understand your feelings on pharmaceuticals. I believe they have their place in treatment, but I feel like they are prescribed too often when other options are available. Especially when the prescribed drugs have terrible side effects that vets don't tell you about. My dog was on a drug for a year that almost killed her, and it turned out a simple look at her blood under a microscope showed she didn't even need it. I believe it shortened her life.

If you are looking for other products that help with pain, I recommend Rocky Mountain Girls Hemp. They sell CBD products for people, horses, and dogs. The horse products work for goats. My friend had a big Nubian doe that had bad arthritis and the CBD cubes helped her. I got some for my buck that hurt himself, but he didn't like the taste. I guess you could also use the oils if yours has some favorite grains that you know she'll eat, My bucks don't get grain so I didn't try the oils with him.

I've had good results with their dog products. I have also used their oils and gel on myself. The gel might work for your girl too but it is "chill" so she might not like the way it feels. It's feels like ICY HOT gel. They are kind of expensive but a little goes a long way with all their products.

Back
Top Bottom