Pre-labor goat struggling to breathe

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Hi, this is a five yo Alpine doe who is probably due next week. The vet said she has very large twins. She has been struggling with mobility for months due to mastitis (treated) and now the weight of her kids. She only gets up to eat a couple times a day. She has a good appetite. A few days ago she started panting or hyperventilating. She grunts when she breathes; I can hear her in the next room. I've given her electrolytes, b complex shot, selenium gel, molasses, baking soda, rock salt, and peanut butter, all of which she eagerly consumed. It seems like the kids are pressing on her lungs. But there were three goats sneezing in the barn last week; two resolved with probiotics, and one with probiotics and oxytetracycline. This doe has already had penicillin for mastitis in month 2 of pregnancy. Is she in danger of suffocating? Should I give her another course of
IMG_20240303_205851780.jpg
penicillin?

Edit: I just noticed from the photo that huge stretch mark (the 2" x 8" white band on her right hip). Is that life threatening?

Since your goat is so close to her delivery date, and seems to be in so much distress, talk to your vet about inducing her. We gave lutalyse coupled with something else, but lutalyse alone will do it. I would call the vet today and ask him for the lutalyse. It takes a day or so to work. It is important to make her walk around a bit every day whether she wants to or not.

Since your goat is so close to her delivery date, and seems to be in so much distress, talk to your vet about inducing her. We gave lutalyse coupled with something else, but lutalyse alone will do it. I would call the vet today and ask him for the lutalyse. It takes a day or so to work. It is important to make her walk around a bit every day whether she wants to or not.
Ok thanks for responding. She does get up twice a day, to eat, as I put her grain in a feeder on the other side of the stall. I will ask the vet about lutalyse.

Hey @cassie I guess I hesitated to engage the vet due to cost. I did give her a bottle of Pedialyte every day since posting this. While she still isn't standing (except to eat), she isn't hyperventilating anymore, seems more alert, and seemed to have a restful, deep sleep last night. I wonder if she was just dehydrated. Hopefully she'll kid finally on Monday.

The fact that she is getting up is good. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is for her to get up and move around. You might want to go in the barn three or four times a day to make her move. This is to prevent ketosis, or pregnancy toxemia which is very serious and can be deadly. If she refuses her grain that is a very bad sign. In that case give her honey or molasses with a turkey baster if necessary. Keep a very close eye on her for signs of labor. You might have to pull the kids. I have had does like this dilate but not have enough strength to push out the babies. If this seems to be the case, check her vaginally, and as soon as she is fully dilated pull out the kids.

The fact that she is getting up is good. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is for her to get up and move around. You might want to go in the barn three or four times a day to make her move. This is to prevent ketosis, or pregnancy toxemia which is very serious and can be deadly. If she refuses her grain that is a very bad sign. In that case give her honey or molasses with a turkey baster if necessary. Keep a very close eye on her for signs of labor. You might have to pull the kids. I have had does like this dilate but not have enough strength to push out the babies. If this seems to be the case, check her vaginally, and as soon as she is fully dilated pull out the kids.
Well, her vulva looks super puffy. But I haven't seen her trying to push at all. ??

Well, her vulva looks super puffy. But I haven't seen her trying to push at all. ??
Just keep an eye on her. Watch for a discharge of mucous. When labor begins, she will start breathing faster. Also, the tail bone will become very loose.

Hi, I'm confused about this doe's health and pregnancy. She was hyperventilating loudly all last week, then whatever it was passed, now she is breathing normally, eating normally, and moving around every few hours (on her knees). No discharge but udder and vulva very swollen. (I thought I saw a little blood three days ago.) The vet said (three days ago) she was not ready to be induced. I believe today was her due date. What is going on with her?

She is a goat. No telling. There is a reason the word capricious comes from the Latin word for goat. It does sound to me like she is very close. You might chart her temperature. It drops just before kidding. Or at least the books say it does. I never did that myself. All you can do is to keep a close eye on her. Make sure she eats her grain. Once she passes the mucus string you will know labor is underway.

Back
Top Bottom