i have a sick chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by allforchicks, Feb 9, 2016.

1. allforchicks

allforchicks New Egg

Aug 5, 2015
    my chicken is barely eating and isn't drinking much water either, she has a runny nose and I've been giving her antibiotics. I've brought her inside the house in hopes of a speedy recovery (it's been cold outside recently, perhaps she has a cold) am i taking care of her correctly? What other options can i do to help her?

2. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    U could try probiotics and vit/mineral supplement

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Agreed. Welcome to BYC and i hope that your chicken recovers to full health.

All the best
    CT

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Post in fullest detail at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread. Have you tried feeding her special treats, like scrambled eggs, or warm oatmeal, etc. Sometimes they will eat if tempted. She really needs to drink. Maybe you could add a bit of sugar to her water to encourage her. Has she been laying and then abruptly stopped? Is it possible she is egg bound? These are all things to bring up in you post. I hope the e/r people can put you on the right path.

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

x2 on drumstick diva's post. Are any of your other chickens displaying symptoms? It's good you separated her from the other birds, that's the first thing to do when one isn't feeling up to snuff. Hopefully the emergency forum members can give you some advice to get her back on her feet.

Good luck!

7. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. :fl Good luck with her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by