I have a sick chicken!

cfarkas

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 5, 2012
Hi, my name is Courtney. I have an approximately 9 month old salmon favorelle hen. A week ago I started to notice that her feathers (wings and tail) were drooping and she wasnt moving very much. She could walk around but she was very slow. She even let me pick her up which she has never done before. I immediatley quarantined her and she has been separated from the other 5 hens for the past week. She is very alert and normal looking. She makes a little noise when I bother her too much, she eats, and she drinks. However, she cannot walk. She will try to walk and uses her wings to help her but she just falls over. She can move her legs and push against my hands with them but she cant stand up. I have checked for injuries, external parasites, impacted eggs, runny eyes/ears, breathing issues and havent seen/felt/heard anything unusual. She has been going to the bathroom much less than normal. She has had one batch of VERY watery almost clear feces with a bit of green in it. I did notice some shavings in that batch. Other than that her feces has been dark brown with a little white and is pasty (maybe once per day). None of the other chickens show any sympotoms of illness at this point. Any ideas on what this could be?

Hi, Courtney, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you here but sorry to hear about your sick chick. You might consider posting here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures
The folks that patrol this thread really know their stuff. I wish you and your chicken all the best!

Thanks I just rea;ized I posted in the wrong spot ;) Way to introduce myself huh?!

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Good luck with your hen!

I once had the same problem with my Polish Buff.Are they all different breeds?If so, mabey u should get another chicken that is the same breed.Good luck!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom