I have a sick chook

whytwings

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 25, 2011
Hello ......Recently I saved 3 chooks that were dumped out front of my local feed store , all are doing fine except 1 who had a messy vent area.
She was cleaned up and doing well for a week , but now is becoming soiled again ....she is not moving about like the other couple of chickens ,
her walk is much slower and she will choose to find a quiet spot under the back veranda and rest there or she'll stand alone and close her eyes.

There is something wrong ....Her droppings are loose and of a cream colour . I haven't discounted the fact it could be egg binding ......I was told to dose here with olive oil , which I have done 10 mls by syringe , should I continue to use this method ?? I have no way of weighing her but she is a decent sized red hen . I have some medications on hand if someone experienced may know whats happening here .

The medications I have are : ENROFLOXACIN 25mg/ml
: SULFA AVS

If these medications could be used I am prepared to dose at the weight of a standard large red bird that would be recommended . I can't afford to waste time and split hairs over a few grams either way , she needs assistance soon and I'd hate to put her to sleep when my objective was to save her and give
her a good home ....I'm sorry I can't tell you how old they are or any back ground history
hmm.png

Many thanks !

D

Any type of guess as to how old they are? Under a year/over a year??
Is it hot by you?
Has anyone layed an egg yet?
What are you feeding them?
Need more info to possible help.....
smile.png

Hi and thanks for the prompt response , unfortunately I know nothing about their past history and in all honesty I wouldn't even know how to guestimate a chooks age . I am in Australia and we are approaching spring so it's still relatively coolish here , the state that I come from has a Mederteranian climate .......it does not snow in this state .

Hen # 1 laid a massive egg 4 days ago
Hen # 2 laid her first egg today
Hen # 3 is my sick hen and no egg

From what I understand chooks here are starting to lay now after coming out of their " off season "

I am feeding them lettuce , corn cobs cut & devided , caulieflour , apples , wheat , sardines in oil as a treat .......I also have pigeons and they have access to their feeders although I try and restrict that access .

Pigeon mix contains , safflower, corn . peas , milo and corn

D

When there is NO history, its time for guessing possibilities......Well you know they are at least 7 months old.
You need to get a proper prepared chicken food for your girls. [I am assuming you are going to keep them?] LOL They probably need more nutriton than just what they are getting now.

Oyster shell calcium free choice for hard egg shells too.

To check for egg binding you feel their underside by the vent area for a egg lump....You can give warm water sitz baths to help relax the hen and mineral/vegtable oil in the vent to help get the egg out.

I would suggest worming everyone.

Have you seen any mites/lice on them? Garden/Poultry dust will get rid of those buggers.

I know there is more but start there...............
smile.png

Thank you for the information thus far , you've been very helpful

I should have pointed out that they also have layer pellets , but they don't like them very much at all .
They are free to roam the yard all day until they are secured in their house til morning .

Trust me to be giving the oil at the wrong end
big_smile.png

have you heard of MOXIDECTIN PLUS ? can I give this in an oral dose down the throat for worms , lice and mites ?

I am onto the oyster shell .....a restaurant close by are saving their shells for me and I will collect some tomorrow .

Thanks again for your help froggie

D

Back
Top Bottom