I have a single chick and i cant afford another one

Pics
You might need help further down the line. Let us know if you have any other care questions now, or start a new thread if you have one later. There is so much information about coops on here, as that seems like your next step. You can check that out. They will get too big for the brooder in around 4-6 weeks, it will feel so fast. Let us know if you need anything else.

I'm really glad you are adding to the flock. Chickens really do need company of other chickens. You'll learn alot about being responsible for other critters and honestly chickens are easier to keep than a lot of other pets as long as you set yourself up for success with a good coop and schedule. Many animals people think of as good first time pets are tougher to raise successfully like dogs, aquariums, and reptiles. Good on you to do research here and hopefully elsewhere too. I've had a lot of different pets in my life, and chickens are one of the more fun ones. They are so entertaining to watch and also give you the benefit of eggs. It sounds like you have a barred rock, which happens to be my favorite girl in my flock. She's so talkative too!

On youtube you can watch videos from Carolina Coops and get a lot of good information about housing and predator proofing. Be careful though, because you'll want to build a grand coop in your yard LOL.

not sure how this seems like lying to you but, alright.

i dont see why i would.. lie? about my parents saying yes to me getting more chicks?
Hey, I just saw this thread, I just wanted to let you know, everyone here is just trying to help, I know they may seem like they are being mean, and perhaps they could be a little nicer about it, although they need to get that point across to you, and I get that it is upsetting, id also like to add as long as she has a few flock mates, she should be alright in your care in my opinion. I see no problems as long as your being truthful with us

Don't think your wrong for loving that little chick and not being able to let go of it easily,
just understand she needs what is best for her, and that is flock mates, so I hope your being truthful with us and she is getting a small flock!

Sorry for doubting you telling the truth, its just it seemed like you were put under a lot of pressure in this thread, and it would be easy to tell them you are getting a few more chicks to stop them putting so much pressure on you to rehome her.

Assuming story is true:

1) agree with all, listen to your parents and do what is best for the chick. This is a living creature in addition to being a food provider (eggs or meat or pet).

2) to that end, it sounds like you already sold your parents on new chicks, but definitely use this as a growing experience for you (had your parents not yet agreed, this would have been how I would recommend selling them on the idea). You now have responsibility far beyond what you had before you bought this chick. Live up to it.

3) you will need a coop sooner than later. The switch happens fast and you need to be prepared. Those cute cuddly chicks are going to start kicking up a lot of dust if you have them in the house once they are a few weeks older. (Once they start constantly scratching the shavings, etc)

4) I still don't quite understand the whole money thing you were trying to get across, but chickens aren't free. The coop, the feed, the care all add up. If you can't handle it, recognize it and give them to someone who can now before you've invested money into a coop and then decide you can't afford to feed them.

Back
Top Bottom