I have a turkey that has most of her tail feathers broken off.

smchicks

Hatching
Nov 29, 2020
My turkey only has 2 tail feathers left. The rest is broken off and bleeding. She lives with my chickens and they won't leave her tail alone. She is losing a lot of feathers as well and quit laying eggs a few weeks ago. How could she have broken that many feathers? She has so much blood we thought she had an internal problem. It turns out her feathers were broken after cleaning her up. I sprayed antibiotic on the sight and the bleeding has stopped. We have secluded her from the chickens for now and my question is will they ever leave her alone once she's healed? Also, why would she be molting this late in the year? She is 7 months old. Will she ever lay eggs again? Thanks in advance.

She is being pecked by the chickens most likely. I would guess space issues? How much space do they have? Turkeys will do the same thing to eachother's tails when they are bored.

My turkey only has 2 tail feathers left. The rest is broken off and bleeding. She lives with my chickens and they won't leave her tail alone. She is losing a lot of feathers as well and quit laying eggs a few weeks ago. How could she have broken that many feathers? She has so much blood we thought she had an internal problem. It turns out her feathers were broken after cleaning her up. I sprayed antibiotic on the sight and the bleeding has stopped. We have secluded her from the chickens for now and my question is will they ever leave her alone once she's healed? Also, why would she be molting this late in the year? She is 7 months old. Will she ever lay eggs again? Thanks in advance.
members.jpg

Turkeys are seasonal layers. She should start laying again next spring.

Yes, they are definitely pecking at her tail feathers. I thought it was because she was bleeding. Bleeding has stopped and they are all bothering her. They have been together since they were chicks. Not sure why they are turning on her.

Yes, they are definitely pecking at her tail feathers. I thought it was because she was bleeding. Bleeding has stopped and they are all bothering her. They have been together since they were chicks. Not sure why they are turning on her.
If the tail feathers are bleeding, they are most likely new feathers from the molt. Once they get the taste of blood, chickens will not stop pecking at it.

Back
Top Bottom