I have a white chicken with 5 toes is this normal?

There are several breeds with 5 toes, not just silkies. I own several like the Sultan which is normally solid white with 5 toes. Also mixed breeds of a 5-toed breed may have five toes. Post a picture if you manage to get one of your chicken and I may help you identify it.

Last edited:
I have a pure white pullet with 5 toes. i thought only silkies and the like had 5 toes. I don't have a photo of her to post but she looks like a leghorn.
Polydactyly is a common enough mutation in most animals. There are several breeds where it's the breed standard, but it CAN just randomly crop up as a mutation. Silkies and Dorkings have 5 toes as SOP right off the top of my head but I'm sure there are others. It would also be possible for a cross to carry 5 toes, even if they mostly look like a Leghorn.

Polydactyly is a common enough mutation in most animals. There are several breeds where it's the breed standard, but it CAN just randomly crop up as a mutation. Silkies and Dorkings have 5 toes as SOP right off the top of my head but I'm sure there are others. It would also be possible for a cross to carry 5 toes, even if they mostly look like a Leghorn.

Sultans, Houdans and faverolle also. I'm not sure if there are any others.

Back
Top Bottom