I have about 100 non-chickens in my coop...PICS!

Quote:
Don't be so sure about your chickens eating these birds...

These are gladiators that some do-goodie nut brought over here from England/Europe....he wanted to bring over every bird that Shakespear wrote about in his works.<DUH!!!> I refer to them as "flying rats"....weaver finches (aka...house sparrows) I refer to as "flying mice".

Starlings have been known many times to evict adult woodpeckers from their nests...they are also well documented at holding down and pecking to death adult purple martins in the nest cavities. If you look at the starling it's beak is a heavy dagger, legs and feet are heavy, and it is a tall, stout bird (for it's size range). But, the most impressive aspect of it's makeup is it's mentality...it has a killer instinct unlike most native species of it's size.

One interesting note is that it's wing feathering almost acts like a bullet-proof vest. I've shot them with a .22 springer pellet gun and have had the pellets harmlessly bounce off of the outside of their wings....head, breast, or tail are the target areas.

No, one-on-one they couldn't take on a grown chicken...but starlings don't fight by any rules, they'll gang up on whatever they want to attack. They're cold blooded killing machines...especially when they're lots of them. Plus...they're disease prone. If the OP could trap and kill them he/she would be doing all the native birds a big big favor.

Ed

For some reason this thread makes me think of Alfred Hitchcock.......

I had the same thought! It's that movie "birds" where the huge flock of crows try to eat everyone
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
Remember "Four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie
And when the pie was opened the birds began to sing
Wasn't that a lovely gift to set brfore the king?"

Well, guess what the 'blackbirds' were?

Quote:

but i really want to see what they taste like
sad.png
If they are going to offer themselves up so easily....
smile.png

Quote:

Could we be talking about Henry Vlll and the deeds to the monasterys that he stole from the Catholic Church ?

Quote:
Tried them once when I was a kid. My mom said anything I shot I had to eat so I tried it and Yuck!! bitter tasting!! sparrow actually taste good like dove.

Back
Top Bottom