I HAVE AN EGG!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by allig8r, Oct 25, 2007.

1. allig8r

allig8r Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm starving and we have no eggs in the house--which is rare since I buy 3 dozen at a time. So my husband says "Well, let me go out and see if the girls have any". I snicker and say "Yeah--good luck with that..." The girls were hatched on Memorial Day and although I check daily, still nothing. I'd given up on getting eggs before Thanksgiving.

Lo and behold, he comes in with our VERY FIRST EGG! It wasn't in the nesting box, but on the wire floor under the roosts. No clue how long it's been there since I haven't checked that area in days. Perfect in every way. I just know it had to be either Henrietta (BR) or Piccata (Australorp) since they matured first (by the color of their combs).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    That's got to be the prettiest egg I've seen today!

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Very pretty egg! Looks perfect! CONGRATS!

4. MyPerfectChicken

MyPerfectChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    PA
    Really? I didn't know their eggs were that dark???? [​IMG]
    Congrats on your egg!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    congrats

6. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    So pretty and perfect!

7. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Congrats! I'm hoping for something around the end of the year from my ladies, but given how long others have had to be 'patient...' I'm not going to hold my breath.

8. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    Yay! Yours were born exactly two weeks before mine, so maybe I'll be getting eggs two weeks from now... I can hardly stand the wait, though...

9. allig8r

allig8r Chillin' With My Peeps

The egg was still wet from cleaning it off in the picture. It didn't have much on it--just a wet mark from where it was laying on the wire. It was a lighter brown than that.

OMG... the wait nearly KILLED me. JUUUUUST when you give up (I mean honestly and TRULY give up)--they shock you, right? I seriously thought that the short days had set in too soon for them to start laying now. Dumb newbie (that would be moi).

As it is I have no idea if/when the next one's comin'! BUT, I think it definitely might have been poor Piccata. I went out there twice today and my husband went back out once and every time Piccata came up to the top level of the coop and LET US PET HER... multiple times. Henrietta was right behind her and equally nice to us. I feel horrible. I feel like she's mourning the loss of her baby egg. And I ATE it. Poor Piccata. Poor, poor little Piccata. What's worse is that I tried to make nice by hand-feeding them a bit and while I seriously thought Piccata was the queen of the pack, another less-mature Australorp pecked at her to get away from my hand (and then pecked another away as well).

[​IMG]

It's like a soap opera right in my own back yard. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  10. EggCentric

EggCentric Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Ball Ground, Ga
    Looks like an australorp egg to me! Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by