I have an injured chicken

She's in shock and it's as dangerous as a serious wound. As @black_cat mentioned, shock should be treated with electrolytes or just give warm Gatoraid. You may need to syringe the fluids into her beak. Do it every hour until she revives.
upload_2019-3-15_10-22-30.jpeg

She is panting pretty hard.... we live in SW FL so it’s high of 88 here. I tried putting food and water by her but she is so traumatized she just gets scared when I come near her.
Move her inside. Get a dog crate ready or some other sort of secure thing to keep her in, even if it is just a bath tub. If you need to, wrap her in a towel as you are bringing her in so that she can't escape.

Move her inside. Get a dog crate ready or some other sort of secure thing to keep her in, even if it is just a bath tub. If you need to, wrap her in a towel as you are bringing her in so that she can't escape.
If I move her inside, my other chicken will be left outside by herself. She has been squawking all day because she can’t find the other chickens. Do you think she will be ok alone?

If I move her inside, my other chicken will be left outside by herself. She has been squawking all day because she can’t find the other chickens. Do you think she will be ok alone?
She will be ok alone. Give her a child safe mirror or a stuffed animal for the time being. It is more important to monitor your injured hen.

Shock will immobilize a chicken. I have picked several chickens up off the road that had fallen off the truck. They were awake but they just stayed there like they were frozen. I put them in a warm semi dark quiet place and they came around. There is some controversy about peroxide but I have used it for years to clean wounds with no ill effects and I know a lot of vets that do so too. I personally would initially clean the wound with peroxide and then put some sort of antibiotic ointment on it. Use Blukote if nothing else. Given time chickens can recover from a lot of injuries. Don't be too hasty with the hatchet.

Shock will immobilize a chicken. I have picked several chickens up off the road that had fallen off the truck. They were awake but they just stayed there like they were frozen. I put them in a warm semi dark quiet place and they came around. There is some controversy about peroxide but I have used it for years to clean wounds with no ill effects and I know a lot of vets that do so too. I personally would initially clean the wound with peroxide and then put some sort of antibiotic ointment on it. Use Blukote if nothing else. Given time chickens can recover from a lot of injuries. Don't be too hasty with the hatchet.
What about bone/muscular injuries? I can’t seem to find a puncture wound on her leg but clearly her leg is injured because she limps and almost falls over every time it’s very sad to watch.
Here is a picture of her

Attachments

• 026D9C9F-D794-4789-A69A-B4A35D8CF222.jpeg
    026D9C9F-D794-4789-A69A-B4A35D8CF222.jpeg
    550.4 KB · Views: 6
What about bone/muscular injuries? I can’t seem to find a puncture wound on her leg but clearly her leg is injured because she limps and almost falls over every time it’s very sad to watch.
Here is a picture of her
Feel the leg to see if anything is broken. If it is you can splint it. Other than that, give her time to heal. Put her in a small area so she doesn't have to move much to get to feed and water.

Feel the leg to see if anything is broken. If it is you can splint it. Other than that, give her time to heal. Put her in a small area so she doesn't have to move much to get to feed and water.
She’s in a crate in my garage I kept the truck outside tonight ... I put food and water in it. I just hope she eats and drinks. Thank you so much for your help.

Back
Top Bottom