I have an Oppertunity to get Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by EricShane, Apr 27, 2009.

1. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    There is a man that lives fairly close to me that has lots of 2 or 3 day old quails for a 1$ each.. he also has 2 weekers for 2$ - what do you guys think? Ive never had quails, Ive wanted to for Years.. should I invest in the 2 week olds, or just get the babies? Are they much more difficult than chickens?

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

We haven't had any trouble raising ours from hatch to adult. Sometimes for day olds we have had to grind the feed up more if the crumbles were to big. That and for the little ones to need to put marbles or something in the water to keep them from falling in. They are very easy to raise.

Steve in NC

3. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] get them, get them, get them! heck for that price, i'd be all over it too! There is a great thread stickied on the top of this "room" about raising quails. They aren't much more difficult than chicken chicks are...

4. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Either would be fine, the main difference just being what Steve stated above... you should grind up the feed for the day olds and make sure there are marbles or something in the water so they don't drown. They grow really fast!

What type of quail?

Nancy

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG] ditto!

6. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    The nice thing is that they are full grown and laying and eatable in about 2 months.

7. Sialia

Sialia Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2009
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:If they are coturnix. I'd go with the 2 week olds.

8. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    yep if they are coturnix i say GET THEM!!! [​IMG]

9. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    wellll.... They are Bobwhite quails and I just called and they said they only have 3 week old's right now for 2$ I think im gonna go get some!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by