i have calmed down some. maybe a little.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by A.J.'s, Dec 20, 2008.

1. A.J.'s

A.J.'s Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Tennessee
    she is older hen.. red sex link. has been slowing down lately but I figured it was her age.
    she is very thin almost weighless... really
    her crop is totally empty i can feel nothing in there.
    i can not feel any thing in her crop.
    her egg belly seems to be empty. very empty
    she lives with 34 other hens in a secure new chicken house. no one else is sick.
    she has hay bedding tho it is wet now because we have had a lot of rain and i dont know why the floor became so wet. it has never done that before. could be seeping in under the walls of the house.
    it is a dirt floor. insulated and plenty of roost and nest. plenty of room.
    she is older... got her from a woman who does not take proper care of her hens.. feeds them garbage from the kitchenand from local restaureant and i kinda rescued her.. she was broody when i got her.
    a year ago..
    she was fine.. til lately.. just a week or so maybe two.. just slowed down and then today i noticed that she was really sick. i figured it was just old age.. but then i picked her up and saw how terribley light she is and the empty crop and empty belly.
    the mouth is filled with yellow stinking stuff kinda like some stuff i have coughed up from sinus but yellow and stinks so badly.. i got lots of it out. and gave her warm water in veggie oil with a syringe and also sucked some out with a baby thing i forget what its called blue rubber with spout on it to suck liquid from babys mouth and nose..
    fot lots of it out but stopped when i noticed some blood on the q tip i was using.
    i did get some liguid down her with activia yogert.. she coughed at it.. i wanted to stick the qtip down and get a better hole going to the cr op but was scared to do that very far.. should I
    i cant take her to the vet i took a chip monk once and he turned and left the room.. i hate him to.
    only one available. and hes probably not available at this time of day.
    whew

2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    If you haven't already, separate her from the others and put her in a clean, dry, quiet place. Is there any discharge from the eyes? It could be canker or possibly a respiratory ill. For canker, Gail Damerow recommends, 1 lb copper sulfate with 1 c. vinegar and 1 gallon water, mix well, add 1 tbsp solution per gallon drinking water for 4-7 days in a non-metal waterer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by