I have come FULL CIRCLE

I got a kick out of you calling Lantana an annual. When I was in Northwest Arkansas it was, I usually planted some every year. You can get some beautiful colors. But down here it is an aggressive perennial, you have to whack and slash at it a lot to keep it civilized. Another example of how location matters.

You've gotten good advice on here, either fence them in or fence them out. I've had good luck stopping ground-based predators with electric netting without resorting to peanut butter or sardines. I've seen that recommendation before and it could have some benefits. Once a critter is bitten once or at most twice they learn to stay away. That could be important where you are. Depending on how it is set up, electricity might not work in the snow. So any critter that has not been bitten is a risk. Butt even in snow the critters that have been bitten know to stay away.

Electricity does not stop flying predators. That has not been an issue for me but for some people it is. If a critter like a bobcat can get to your birds through the tree canopy an electric fence might not help much. I'm also a believer in setting it up for your convenience, you are much more important than any chicken. I'm not sure how setting it up in a wooded area where you have to lead them out there every day will work in all weather, when you are sick, or if you ever leave to go to a funeral or wedding. I'd suggest you think about that.

Lantanas are prolific! Surprised they can overwinter in Arkansas, thought would have to be closer to Mexico.

Romance meets Reality.
Fence 'em in or fence 'em out.
I agree it all sounds so romantic, lovely beautiful chickens dotted about the backyard amongst the grass and colorful flowers. You found out that romance only lasts a few days, until the flowers are destroyed. A run isn’t romantic but it is practical. (Geeeeze! This is sounding more and more like me when I was giving advice to my teenage granddaughter!)
So, how about fencing in the plants? Short fencing or wire cage that doesn’t allow room for chickens to hop in and scratch. Taller types for saplings and young bushes until they are established and strong. It might take some experimenting to find the best fence/wire cage for various plants but it could be a way to let the chickens continue to eat ticks from your yard.

Back
Top Bottom