I have coturnix quails not laying eggs

Junejones

Songster
Sep 20, 2021
What am i doing wrong? This is the first time doing this.They will be 12 weeks on monday......
I feed them a mixture of
Black oil sunflower seeds, whole corn, whole oats, whole flax seed, and white millets
Will take a pic of the place later...
Thanks

What am i doing wrong? This is the first time doing this.They will be 12 weeks on monday......
I feed them a mixture of
Black oil sunflower seeds, whole corn, whole oats, whole flax seed, and white millets
Thanks
I don't know anything about quail but I do know if I don't feed my ducks layer feed I won't get very many eggs at all. Do they make any type of layer feed for quail? I thought maybe that might help. Also if my Ducks get stressed by too many drakes they won't lay so I watch out for that and just rehomed 7 of mine to keep peace.

They do make layer feed but it sooo expensive around here in corry pa (verry small town) and im going to check to see how many male to females

I feed them a mixture of
Thanks
I'd bet it has something to do with what you are feeding them.
Do you not have poultry feed available where you live?

They do make layer feed but it sooo expensive around here in corry pa (verry small town) and im going to check to see how many male to females
A bag of chicken layer crumble feed isn't that expensive.
It's probably cheaper than buying all of the other stuff that you buy combined.

I doubt that they're getting enough protein and other nutrients with that mix. Laying coturnix need a minimum of 18% protein, 2.5% calcium and a host of other nutrients. They also prefer at least 14 hours of light.

There's a Tractor Supply Company store in Corry that shows the same feed that I give my layers for $22.99 for a 40 pound bag - https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/naturewise-meatbird
Although I have to supplement their calcium with oyster shell and/or calcium citrate, they lay fairly consistently on that feed. I feed them the Purina Gamebird Starter until about 6 weeks old. My birds start laying as early as 5 1/2 weeks old and when they do start, I start the transition to the Nature Wise feed and start adding calcium.

Well i found 2 eggs and we did have 1 extra male then the ratio so we fixed that. The feed that i give them has 22.3% protein in it
20230723_161657.jpg

Buy some chicken layer feed or flock raiser crumbles with oyster shell on the side. It’s really not that expensive. Doesn’t have to be special game bird feed. They do need balanced nutrition though which these feeds will provide.

The mix that you mentioned does not seem nutritionally complete for quail. You want to get some game bird or turkey maintenance feed or a good layer crumble. You're looking for 18-24% protein and 3.5 % calcium. If you find a good feed that is low on calcium, you can offer calcium on the side and she'll eat as much as she needs.

Back
Top Bottom