I have created a monster 😄

JChipowsky

Songster
Jul 31, 2023
Conway SC
A little back story.
I live with my boyfriend and my daughter. We all love animals. We live on 1/4 acre in SC, far enough outside of city limits that there's no ordinances restricting chickens. We also keep and breed a few types of reptiles, rodents and insects.
When we closed on our house just under three years ago my boyfriend didn't know how he felt about the reptiles, but was open to a few. I love biology and genetics, so discussing traits (dominant, incomplete dominant, recessive) and how things interact with each other won him over. So our house has an entire room of reptiles, and another of rodents.
Since I had my first chickens many years ago, I've wanted more. I did research on breeds, I've been through dozens of books and all over the Internet. I wanted cream legbars. We weren't ready for chickens. About a quarter of our yard is dug up and overgrown, we wanted to get it cleaned up and leveled out before we got any. Instead I contented myself with helping his family set up their flock and coop. We would visit their house and take bugs to treat them and spoil them.
We went for our weekly trip to Tractor Supply and they had a tub full of cream legbars. In the almost three years that we've been going there they have never had cream legbars, talking to the long time staff they said it's the first time they had seen them. We made a decision to get just five, 4 pullets and a Cockerel. We love them! A week later I went back for 4 more pullets 😂
I've been discussing with my boyfriend waiting until the babies are fully feathered and picking only the ones that fit the breed standard to eventually breed. The others would be kept as just pretty egg layers.
Today my boyfriend said, what about having 4 different coops and runs? We'd have one for the breeding cream legbars, one for bigger dual purpose birds, one for just egg layers and one for bachelors(as meat birds). 😄
So, I created a monster 😄 now he's in love with the little birds. I foresee a future where the entire back yard is just chickens (and the side yard)🤣
Chicken math happened faster than I thought it would 🤣
Our little Cockerel is the sweetest! He comes up to us as soon as we go to the brooder. He'll jump into our hands and climb up to our shoulders, he likes to nap on my head. The girls are a little reserved, one will hop up on me, but no one else. We're working on building them a coop and run, and when the yard gets fixed, we'll be building more 🤣
IMG_20230802_181546.jpg
IMG_20230802_101507.jpg

Back
Top Bottom