I have created little monsters!

Tamma

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 2, 2012
Adkins, TX
I have 3 red star chicks 8 weeks old. At 4 weeks I put them in their coop/run. 6x8 coop and 6x8 run. I can't get out of the coop or run without distracting them with treats. I made the mistake of giving them mealworms when they were too young and they won't eat anthing but mealworms & crickets for treats. I have tried yogurt, cheerios, lettuce, and stale bread. They ignore it and stand on top of my feet so I can;t leave. I have been feeding dried mealworms & crickets as well as fresh. How do I undo the mess I have made? Now I only go in the coop/run once a day since I know they shouldn't eat too many mealworms. And I do supply grit. Thanks so much!! Tamma

Forgot to mention - need help with treats and also exiting the coop w/out chickens escaping. And I'm not free-ranging them until they are grown and I can get some hawk
deterrent.

Last edited:
Take a leaf rake with you. Thats what I do with Crackers. I dont elt them out because we have raccoons and coyotes here. When she tries to get out, I put the leaf rake down as I back out, that makes it so she cant get past me. Of course you are dealing with larger numbers
lau.gif

As for treats, I guess dont give them any more. Just like with kids I suppose just taking it away is best. After a while they will start looking into new things Im sure. Mine love strawberries. My roo had no idea what a strawberry was until I gave them to the girls. When i got him, his previous Mama gave him doritos.
hmm.png
He would not try anything i gave him, but of course he learned from his hens. He eventually came around lol.

Last edited:
That's a great idea. I have a big orange plastic rake I can try to block them with. I'll try it today. Thanks!!

Just stop doing it.Start giving them the treat once a week until they are broken from the habit. I'd use a leaf rake or maybe even a pig board.something to block them from the door as you exit.

They are gonna be so SAD when they don't get a treat. Guess I have been spoiling them. It's "cold turkey" for them. haha

Back
Top Bottom