I have dang moths in my finch/parakeet seed

I got half way through a cup of hot chocolate before realizing the lumps in it were not lumps of chocolate mix but worms. Technically they won't make you sick but after you notice you were just eating worms....
sickbyc.gif

We get them in our parrot food as well. We found out by accident how to get rid of them lol. My dd left a partial cup of salsa out on the counter overnight. In the morning I went to dump it in the garbage disposal and looked down and saw about 20 of those moths in there drowned. I didn't even know there were that many in the house lol. They must really like it.

Quote:
I think I'll be trying this tonight. We bag all incoming seed and throw it in the freezer for a week before storing it, but it looks like I missed a bag somehow. Commercial moth traps are so pricey.

Hi,

Unfortunately the moth eggs come in seeds, flours, both pet and human dry foods. I buy small moth traps at Home Depot and store the food in the freezer. Freezing it does not kill all of the eggs so they can hatch if you take the seed/flour out and leave it. I keep all my seed, pellets, etc. in airtight containers in the freezer and keep the cages changed daily. they are seasonal and typically you will see them in the Spring and Fall months.

good luck

Carol

I know this topic is a couple months old, but finding it made me feel quite a bit better!

We have two parakeets in the bedroom and noticed a few moths. It's been a bad bug year here in NJ with all of the heat and water, so we didn't think much of it. We live on a farm and it's not uncommon to have bad years of certain bugs. We get the rotation of ladybugs, stinkbugs, giant crickets - you know the deal.

WELL....a few months suddenly turned into DOZENS of moths. I keep most of my wool roving/yarn in a closet in the bedroom and was afraid they were in there. Nope.

I finally realized when analyzing the bird seed that there were worms in there. THOSE JERKS! I've been vacuuming them as I see them (the moths and worms) and we changed seed. They are not totally eradicated but it's much better. I'm just glad we're moving soon. We'll leave what few of them are here behind and I'll know to store the food in the freezer!

this is one of the reasons that as soon as i get my place and am properly settled in ill be picking up a second freezer for my utility room (have a chest freezer comming wiht me) that will be specifically for the the pet food...i am switching to raw food anyway so will need it for the meat eventually but i hate those little moths...
we also get the little tiny black venegar flys, they love the canned catfood if you dont scrub the cans completly clean before putting them in the recycling thats it, they multiply like crazy too!

they do come IN the seeds, its impossible for the places making the comercial seed to keep them all out...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom