I have de-wormed with Invectrin, but I am still seeing 'nail slivers' in their poop... I have purch

dwrobel65

Hatching
Jun 13, 2015
I'm so upset! My daughter's favorite hen, Georgie, who is always friendly and curious (hence the name, Georgie, from curious george) was dead this morning outside the coop. (We have a small covered dog kennel we placed inside the pen, outside the coop where some of the young hens go to 'roost'). She was not in there yesterday, but must have been in there at night. We had a super cold night last night, and this morning she was cold as ice. I noticed her belly had been missing some feathers ... but none of the other hens pick at her. I had not noticed any 'odd or mushy' poop from her, but I did de-worm a few weeks back. I have noticed 'nail slivers' in their poop, and was going to de-worm again, but have not yet adminstered.
I am wondering if she could have died from the 'worms'? Upset and feeling awful.
To add- we bought a red-bulb low wattage heat lamp and had it on for the first time last night since it got into the teens. I left the coop door open, so they could get into the closed pen... so they would not be trapped. When I checked last night, it seemed those in the coop were comfortable, and were 'roostsing' close to the lamp (hung from the ceiling). I typically 'count them' and to my neglect... did not last night... I'd appreciate any advice or feedback.

I'm so upset! My daughter's favorite hen, Georgie, who is always friendly and curious (hence the name, Georgie, from curious george) was dead this morning outside the coop. (We have a small covered dog kennel we placed inside the pen, outside the coop where some of the young hens go to 'roost'). She was not in there yesterday, but must have been in there at night. We had a super cold night last night, and this morning she was cold as ice. I noticed her belly had been missing some feathers ... but none of the other hens pick at her. I had not noticed any 'odd or mushy' poop from her, but I did de-worm a few weeks back. I have noticed 'nail slivers' in their poop, and was going to de-worm again, but have not yet adminstered.
I am wondering if she could have died from the 'worms'? Upset and feeling awful.
To add- we bought a red-bulb low wattage heat lamp and had it on for the first time last night since it got into the teens. I left the coop door open, so they could get into the closed pen... so they would not be trapped. When I checked last night, it seemed those in the coop were comfortable, and were 'roostsing' close to the lamp (hung from the ceiling). I typically 'count them' and to my neglect... did not last night... I'd appreciate any advice or feedback.
So sorry for your loss! Your daughter must be devastated; Georgie looks like a sweet girl.

My chickens recently went through a crisis of parasites (both roundworms and tapeworms, according to the necrotopsy), and I had five die of starvation. I gave them Wazine 17, a liquid dewormer to put in their water, and they got better almost immediately.

Wazine only kills round worms, nothing else. Ivermectin is ineffective as a chicken dswirled. Safeguard or Valbazen are very effective wormers.

Here is some more advice. Don't use a heat lamp in your coop. Chickens have a natural down coat, they need proper ventilation, not added heat.

Last edited:
Wazine only kills round worms, nothing else. Ivermectin is ineffective as a chicken dswirled. Safeguard or Valbazen are very effective wormers.

Here is some more advice. Don't use a heat lamp in your coop. Chickens have a natural down coat, they need proper ventilation, not added heat.
Wazine does work the best on roundworms, but still killed my flock's tapeworm. The brands you mentioned do work really well.

My husband reminded me to mention that her belly was naked - no feathers... we thought it was just molting. we didn't see any skin abrasions, but today when I turned her over - her belly was bare.
Not sure if that indicates parasites.

My husband reminded me to mention that her belly was naked - no feathers... we thought it was just molting. we didn't see any skin abrasions, but today when I turned her over - her belly was bare.
Are all the feathers gone, or do the barbs remain? If so, it could be Feather Mites.

I'm no expert, but I have heard that broody hens will often pluck out their own belly feathers to provide more heat to the eggs. Had you noticed her wanting to sit on eggs? I'm so sorry about your loss. :(

What do you mean by 'nail slivers' in the poop?
Did you take any pics?

A fecal exam is the only way to determine what kind of worms might be present......
......tape and round worms can be visible to the human eye, but most other are not.

A necrospy may be the only way to determine what killed her.

What do you mean by 'nail slivers' in the poop?
Did you take any pics?

A fecal exam is the only way to determine what kind of worms might be present......
......tape and round worms can be visible to the human eye, but most other are not.

A necrospy may be the only way to determine what killed her.
I think she means that the "nail silver" are the worm larvae in the droppings.

Back
Top Bottom