I have died and gone to heaven!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LoneCowboy, Jan 16, 2008.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    In my town, we have a Habitat for Humanity thrift store. You can go there and get all kinds of new and used constructions items for dirt cheap. Today I went there and I was just so amazed, I could hardly breathe. Ok, hardware excites me. I bought 32 big hinges like I use on the coops I sell, for .25 each (plus, she got tired of counting so I ended up with 4 free) I've been paying as high as $2.50 each for them. They had bundles of shingles for $5, Dutch Boy oil based primer for $8, tons of paint, flooring, fencing, windows, doors. Everything any self respecting person needs to build a coop of mounmental proportions. You need to look in your area for a place like this. It's called RESTORE.

2. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I use ours all the time, 3 yrs ago we got enough shingles to do our house. They cost us about 200.00 I checked the price of them, if I had bought them from a store they would have cost us over 3 grand, they are the 30 yr. architectural shingles. I got 2 window and 2 exterior doors plus a door knob set for 6.00. I love our habitat. I highly recommend that if you have one in your town use it.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  3. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Thanks so much. We are getting ready to build a coop and run so I'll check them out. For anyone in the Richmond Va area the address to the store is

1901 Roane Street
    Richmond, Va 23222

hours are 9am to 6pm

4. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    i go to restore here too. they also have a furnture place across the street here called.......ummmmm. i don't know. refurniture? lol. something catchy.

5. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    how would I go about looking one up?? I dont think my town has one since it is fairly small, but I live kinda close enough to TX I might be able to get to one .

Julie

6. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    We have a Habitat for Humanity ReStore not far from here and I've been wanting to go...now I really must go! Great find LoneCowboy!!

Any Mainers interested it's on Strawberry Ave. in Lewiston, I believe.
    To find a Habitat for Humanity ReStore near you...go HERE and select "Habitat ReStores" under "Support Habitat".

***Edit had to fix the link...DOH!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2008
  7. MsMcChick

MsMcChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Yeah!! They have one within 45 miles of me!! I live in the back of beyond and they have one nearby! [​IMG]

8. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    LoneCowboy - which store did you go to? My DH went to one off of I25 (near Santa Fe) and the prices were obnoxious! We were shocked at what they wanted for their items. Maybe they change prices now and then???

9. You guys that have a cheap one are lucky! The one in our area is completely out of line, as far as prices go.

10. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I went to the one here in Longmont. The price on windows I thought was really high, but then I found some little ones in another room and they were only $20. Almost bought one, but my coop with 2X4 construction is already built. I've been doing 2X2 now, and they won't fit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by