I have fallen and I can't get up!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ZooMummzy, Mar 12, 2009.

1. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    This is my second year of having chicks and have never experienced a chick falling on its back and not being able to right itself. Is this normal? My kids were screaming and in a panic, so of course I ran down the stairs without any regard for my safety, lol. The chick, our new little EE (less than a week old) was laying on its back/side flaying around. I picked it up and it took off like everything was fine. Should I be concerned? It has been just fine. No pasty butt, eating up a storm and just being a normal chick.

Just being an overprotective chicken mom.....

2. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    I had one that kept doing that, and I thought it was hysterical! I wish I had a video camera for that. They will get more agile, too soon! I've got another little one that keeps trying to perch, and falls off, too cute.

3. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Ok whew! I was worried because I never experienced that last year with my chicks. These are my daughter's chicks and I would hate to have her first experience with raising them not be a good one. Overprotective mother as well [​IMG]

I will have to remember to take the camera downstairs!

4. mahen8622

mahen8622 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    mine did that tonight when i put them in the tub to run and play ( they had cabinet liner to run on so no slipping) and it fell on its back flailed it freaked me out i picked her up and she was dead in 3 minutes flat.... i have NO IDEA what happened [​IMG]

5. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Mine do that all the time for the first week or two. It's pretty cute, but sad. It's only a problem if they get stuck under the heat lamp. My adult birds do that too when they sun bathe. Sometimes I walk out to a flock all on their backs. lol. It's pretty hilarious.

6. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:Holy Cow! Heart attack likely. Sorry for you loss, but sounds like he clearly wasn't longed for this world if a little tumble sent him into cardiac arrest.

7. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:Holy Cow! Heart attack likely. Sorry for you loss, but sounds like he clearly wasn't longed for this world if a little tumble sent him into cardiac arrest.

Wow. I am sorry for your loss [​IMG] Poor little thing.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. It's nice to be able to come here and get answers and relief. I thought for sure I'd be over this overprotective chicken mommy stuff, but I guess not!

She (Ruby) is fine this morning. She is quite a round little thing so I guess she just couldn't get up or maybe she was just practicing her sunbathing in the heat lamp, lol. I love it when the girls outside do that...scared me the first few times that is for sure.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by