I have fallen and I can't get up!

ZooMummzy

Queen of the Zoo
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Philomath, Oregon
This is my second year of having chicks and have never experienced a chick falling on its back and not being able to right itself. Is this normal? My kids were screaming and in a panic, so of course I ran down the stairs without any regard for my safety, lol. The chick, our new little EE (less than a week old) was laying on its back/side flaying around. I picked it up and it took off like everything was fine. Should I be concerned? It has been just fine. No pasty butt, eating up a storm and just being a normal chick.

Just being an overprotective chicken mom.....

I had one that kept doing that, and I thought it was hysterical! I wish I had a video camera for that. They will get more agile, too soon! I've got another little one that keeps trying to perch, and falls off, too cute.

Ok whew! I was worried because I never experienced that last year with my chicks. These are my daughter's chicks and I would hate to have her first experience with raising them not be a good one. Overprotective mother as well
big_smile.png

I will have to remember to take the camera downstairs!

mine did that tonight when i put them in the tub to run and play ( they had cabinet liner to run on so no slipping) and it fell on its back flailed it freaked me out i picked her up and she was dead in 3 minutes flat.... i have NO IDEA what happened
sad.png

Mine do that all the time for the first week or two. It's pretty cute, but sad. It's only a problem if they get stuck under the heat lamp. My adult birds do that too when they sun bathe. Sometimes I walk out to a flock all on their backs. lol. It's pretty hilarious.

Quote:
Holy Cow! Heart attack likely. Sorry for you loss, but sounds like he clearly wasn't longed for this world if a little tumble sent him into cardiac arrest.

Wow. I am sorry for your loss
sad.png
Poor little thing.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. It's nice to be able to come here and get answers and relief. I thought for sure I'd be over this overprotective chicken mommy stuff, but I guess not!

She (Ruby) is fine this morning. She is quite a round little thing so I guess she just couldn't get up or maybe she was just practicing her sunbathing in the heat lamp, lol. I love it when the girls outside do that...scared me the first few times that is for sure.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom