i have given lay feed too early, what now?

BayFillyZ

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 8, 2010
Alabama
I have several ages of chickens mixed together in one flock. adult to 14 weeks. they are all about the same size but i did not realize until today that layena is bad for the youngers ones. the 14 weeks olds have been eating it since about 11 weeks that means at least 3 weeks of a mostly lay crumble diet with treats and free range things mixed in. if i take them off the layena immediately is it too late to avoid organ damage? is organ damage from excessive calcium a certainty or a possibilty? so far everyone seems healthy and happy.

It's only a possibility, and probably somewhat remote at that. People have posted that they give their chicks layng feed and have never had a problem. That being said what is your tolerance of "somewhat remote possibility?" a lot of people keep chickens as pets, so remote is more worry than they want to risk. If it bothers you switch them over to chick food.

Imp

ETA- Welcome to BYC

Last edited:
When I got my birdies the feed store was out of chick feed, as was every other location, and they were about the same age as your birds and I haven't had a problem. All happy and healthy here.

Quote:
Or just switch everyone to flock raiser...they can all eat it, even older hens that are already laying, you can keep them on that until EVERYONE is laying, then switch back to layer feed.
wink.png

My chicken expert, that I buy feed from, recommended that I put my 10-12 week old pullets on layer feed. He explained that they will start laying sooner and it doesn't hurt them at all. So that's what I did and they're all just fine!

I seem to always start them on pellets once they are a couple months old and I haven't had any problems. Of course I do it because it's easier for me to deal with one type of food and more or less the same accommodations.

I am one who used to feed laying mash to new chicks and didn't think it would harm them...and it didn't~until they were around 1 1/2 years old and started dropping from the roost with heart attacks.

Now, I don't know if it was caused by feeding the layer mash when they were that small, but I had never had birds do that before so I won't be repeating this any time soon.

I think your birds were old enough when you started this to not have sustained any organ damage. I think this is probably for very young birds like mine had been.

For the record, feeding laying mash does not make them lay sooner. They will lay when they are sexually mature and not until.

i appreciate the input. i have have moved the younger ones out at feeding time amd they are back on baby food. i like the idea of everyone on flockraiser until all are old enough, but i just bought 100 lbs of lay crumble. will it spoil if i don't use it for another month?

Back
Top Bottom