I have had it !!!

Struttn1

Songster
13 Years
May 4, 2008
Southern Illinois
The neighbor across the road who shot 3 of my turkeys last year and shoots at anyone's dog who gets on his property has a new live in girlfriend who has a pitbull mix dog they let run loose. Last week I found the netting ripped loose on one of my turkey pens and my hen roughed up and an entire nest of eggs destroyed. A couple of days later I found guinea feathers scattered around my front yard and a trail of feathers leading back across the road. Well this morning I heard the turkeys putting and when I looked outside there the mutt was trying to get into the turkey pen. I loaded up my shotgun and went to the polebarn and had the bead on the mutt but decided to let it go but that will be the last time.

I called Animal Control and the officer told me he would go warn them and possibly ticket them since it a law in this county that all dogs are to be penned or chained at all times. He also told me if that does not work that then I should do what I need to do to protect my property so it is loaded and ready.

I am sorry about what is going on why did he shoot your turkeys that makes no sense he kills dogs that goes onto his property then lets his girlfriends dog run wild maybe he hopes someone will shoot it. hope things get better for you.

Good luck. Make sure you use something big enough you kill the dog in one shot, and don't hit your birds!!!
wink.png

Right now I think I have better neighbors than I have had in a long time. My neighbors pits where getting in my yard too. They did kill one turkey. Each time they where in my yard we would go over and get them to get there two dogs out of our yard. The one was not letting go of the turkey. They did give me permission to shot the dog. I don't think I would do that. But they did fix there fence where the dogs where getting out and I have not seen them out since. I was sweet as pie even though I was mad.

I have had neighbors in the past that just did not care. I even had one neighbor call on me for loose livestock (a $500 fine)when his dog came in my yard, killed ducks, and took one home with him. That dog I traped and took to the pound three times in my yard. Animal control never helped me with that dog.

Good luck! Hope things work out.

It is not the dogs fault but with that behaviour and owner I would "cull" the dog. I won't say kill because it is flock management pure and simple when the dogs owner won't help you and follow the law.

i know how you feel.my stupid neighbors dog killed one turkey and 11 guineas. everyday i called the dog warden and everyday they went and warned them finally he went and found the dog loose walking down the road with a dead guinea in his mouth he finally got the proof he needed and fined them 800 bucks and problem solved. but he told me i cant shoot the dog or i will be in huge trouble. whats the law with shooting dogs on your property?

Just to throw in my 2 cents on pit bulls.....I have one, he's the stupidest most useless dog I've ever owned. I have ducklings and goslings on order, due next week because I have one single duck (something got her buddy and she needs some friends)
At night the pit and the duck sleep on the back patio together. He could care less, and I feel extra grateful his prey drive is ZERO. Worthless though, looking forward my future geese and my current guineas growing up and telling me when someone pulls up in my drive, cuz the dog sure don't bark at anything.....ANYthing....I love him though, he's a good boy.

fowlmamma wrote: know how you feel.my stupid neighbors dog killed one turkey and 11 guineas. everyday i called the dog warden and everyday they went and warned them finally he went and found the dog loose walking down the road with a dead guinea in his mouth he finally got the proof he needed and fined them 800 bucks and problem solved. but he told me i cant shoot the dog or i will be in huge trouble. whats the law with shooting dogs on your property?

Read your statutes, carefully. In MO. one is allowed to shoot a dog that is harassing/killing Ratites (emus, etc.). Poultry? Small claims court. However, one is perfectly within one's rights to shoot a dog if it is attacking you, or another human, on the property. So, shooting the dog for attacking the human (what chooks?), calling the sheriff and filing a nuisance animal complaint, is the drill. If the owner gets his/her back up, a civil action for depriving one of the right to use and enjoy one's property as one sees fit, can be entertained. Any dog entering this property is considered to be attacking one of us when it crosses the line.

$800.00 is certainly more than would be assessed here!​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom