I have had it!!

guineas unless raised in a coop and kept in a pen don't typically lay or set in a coop. All the guineas around here (neighbors) lay out in the woods or in the flower beds at best.

Best suggestion I got OP - give some livetraps, bait with eggs -crack one too to lure it even better. livetrap you dont have to sit up and wait. (that who a watched pot never boils applies here
wink.png
)

Then next time have you a 5X5X3 or so sized hardware cloth run box made and when you have a guinea who is setting and you find the nest, put the box run on top of her and the nest at night.

Try setting your guinea eggs under broody hens as well. You said you have 2 setting hens? If the hens aren't bother - stick the remaining eggs under a hen in the coop and stick the chicken eggs in the bator. Just make sure you check every morning that the eggs are undisturbed.

You may want to next year think about penning up your guineas in laying season and not giving them a choice at laying in a secure area.
hmm.png
Just a secure run with a covered side. or just collect eggs and incubate for now on.

Predators are always going to come, possums, racoons, foxes, skunks, snakes, etc all eat eggs.
hmm.png
also my neighbor has had issues with the male guineas breaking and eating the eggs under the hen to get her off the nest, and then killing babies after they hatch. so you will have to watch for that.

Quote:
Problems: don't have live traps, no money, Don't have broody hens, And the hens share the nest---but one only sits on it at night. And i don't incubate my chicken eggs. Building a building of there own thata big engough alo not an opption----my dad won't even buy feed for them and i have 21 guineas and 26 chickens all sleep in the hen house but not enough room for sure.

We have camras but i dout my dad qouldd let me use them. And idk i will ask around. But for now i guess tonight i'll take her eggs. Anyone have any idea on what i could put inside an egg to discourage them from eating them. I have a ton of rotten eggs and i took as much yolk i could get out them i put this hot sauce in it. But what could i put in the with a needle i may add. ^.^

If its birds eating the eggs crows/ravens -chickens hot sauce might not work- on rats and squirrels it should.

What about just food coloring just to see if its 'in house' attack... and spread a light coating of flour to see tracks (of course if its a bird this won't help a lot)

Well think its a skunk. Because i told my mom something ate some of my eggs and she said she smelled the skunk this morning---- at 3 am. But how do you caught a skunk? And where i live no crows or large birds, other thhan hawks and eagle but i dout there that desprate for food.

Last edited:
Quote:
if this happens you are not trapping long enough after I get done trapping and dispatching I see them filter back in in 4-6 months and in that time runs can be strengthened as well as coops etc you will normally catch a pir plus 3-4 younger ones this time of the year sometimes you have to catch 3-5 groups like this to solve the problem

Back
Top Bottom