I have mad chicken disease!!!

Dec 5, 2020
Australia
Hello! I got my first chick when I was 5. It was a Light Sussex ( I really love Light Sussex! ). We had also bought some Gold Laced Wyandottes, a Polish bantam and some Leghorns. We lived in the country but then we had to move to the town and sadly we had to give away all of our chickens. Then when I was 12 we got a dozen Light Sussex eggs. We did not have a proper incubator ( only an old green lamp ). It really was a miracle when 2 days before Christmas I was woken by my family telling me that one of the eggs were hatching! I was completely taken by this chick who thought that I was his Mum. Sadly none of the other eggs hatched only that one little ball of joy. So over the next few months I tried to tell if it was male or female. There was a probably 60-40% chance of it being a male but miraculously it turned out to be a wonderful pullet! We got six more chicks ( four of whom turned out to be roosters) we sold three of them and moved to another place. We then got two Ameraucana pullets and one White Leghorn pullet whom we named Yuki ( which is Japanese for snow). So we had four chickens laying blue eggs. Then we had to move and leave all of our beautiful girls ( and boy) behind (and yes my miracle baby too). so now I just bought some week old chicks 5 weeks ago and am now wondering which are male and which are female.

Hello! I got my first chick when I was 5. It was a Light Sussex ( I really love Light Sussex! ). We had also bought some Gold Laced Wyandottes, a Polish bantam and some Leghorns. We lived in the country but then we had to move to the town and sadly we had to give away all of our chickens. Then when I was 12 we got a dozen Light Sussex eggs. We did not have a proper incubator ( only an old green lamp ). It really was a miracle when 2 days before Christmas I was woken by my family telling me that one of the eggs were hatching! I was completely taken by this chick who thought that I was his Mum. Sadly none of the other eggs hatched only that one little ball of joy. So over the next few months I tried to tell if it was male or female. There was a probably 60-40% chance of it being a male but miraculously it turned out to be a wonderful pullet! We got six more chicks ( four of whom turned out to be roosters) we sold three of them and moved to another place. We then got two Ameraucana pullets and one White Leghorn pullet whom we named Yuki ( which is Japanese for snow). So we had four chickens laying blue eggs. Then we had to move and leave all of our beautiful girls ( and boy) behind (and yes my miracle baby too). so now I just bought some week old chicks 5 weeks ago and am now wondering which are male and which are female.
Hello! Welcome to BYC! We hope you enjoy it here! And, don't worry - mad chicken disease is contagious in a good way here LOL! :woot:welcome

20201204_10372515.jpg

Welcome! :ya

I'm glad you joined, and I promise you will enjoy it.... there's a whole poultry world out there with something for everyone!

Sussex and Leghorns, however, do not lay blue eggs.... do you mean white or brown?

Post some pics of your chicken in the gender identification thread and you should get to know which ones are female. Are roos legal where you are?

Welcome! :ya

I'm glad you joined, and I promise you will enjoy it.... there's a whole poultry world out there with something for everyone!

Sussex and Leghorns, however, do not lay blue eggs.... do you mean white or brown?

Post some pics of your chicken in the gender identification thread and you should get to know which ones are female. Are roos legal where you are?
Oh, I meant to put in that of the two chicks which were not male were actually ameraucanas and laid blue eggs plus we got two more ameraucanas with the Leghorn. No where I live I cannot keep roosters so I think there will most likely be some tough days ahead. Thank you so much for that warm welcome!

Back
Top Bottom