I have made a decision

LilyD

Crowing
12 Years
Jan 24, 2011
Bristol, VT
My Coop
My Coop
I have decided that I am going to make myself a bachelor pen/Jailhouse for the boys who will not be permanent residents of the farm so that once they become sexually active I will not have to deal with the rolling eyes and dirty looks from the girls because I have done it to them again. Right now they are pretty happy with the few boys they have but I plan on hatching out starting in February so would be good to have a place for the boys to go once they hatch out.

I am thinking since I don't plan on keeping boys in the winter that an A frame style coop will work well for this with braces so that they have roosting space since even birds who won't stay long need to roost. My idea is to use 4 full sheets of plywood put together in two A frames with 2X4 braces on the bottom and also about half way up going across in between the two boards. That way it will be fairly light weight and mobile and yet will not be a big expense for us. Then I just need to get a bit of chicken wire fencing so that it's fairly light and moveable and some metal T posts to hold it on and we will be good. They will have time out to forage the same as the girls but I will rotate their time and where they go so they won't be in the same places as the girls are. That way there will be no harassment and everyone will be happy (hopefully). It also allows me to feed them a higher protein food than the layers get in their coop since they will have their own room.

Any thoughts? My plan is only roughly formed in my mind so any ideas you have would be welcome.

Their run will be inside my yard which is fenced and guarded by my LGD so predators are really not much of a problem here unless they can fly. Hopefully by the end of this year my whole yard will be fenced in and the chickens will have the run of the whole place
smile.png

That plywood really should have more support than that or it will sag fast. I'd make a frame for each side and attach the plywood to it in addition to what you're planning with the boards going across.

That plywood really should have more support than that or it will sag fast. I'd make a frame for each side and attach the plywood to it in addition to what you're planning with the boards going across.

I was wondering if it would be enough support. Thanks. One thing I am not is a carpenter but I do try to do it all myself and enlist the help of others with more experience when I feel I am getting in over my head lol.

I would build a simple chicken tractor with 1/2 of the top and 1/2 of 3 sides solid for shelter and hardware cloth for the rest of the tractor ( for more solid support for moving). no need for roost as this would save on height. This will save on materials, lighter weight for moving around , and $$$.

Back
Top Bottom