I have never seen this behavior before

unbaked pegga

Songster
9 Years
Nov 22, 2014
Lebanon TN
I have a 2 year old Orpington. She is molting. About 6 weeks so far but still seeing a fair amount of feathers in the run.. I sit outside with them the good part of each day. I have noticed this strange behavior from her. She will squat almost to but not touching the ground and for lack of a better phrase she acts like she is doing the “hootchie kootchie. She did poop a small amount- normal color with urate on top. Could she be constipated? What should I do if she is?

Ha I am showing my age but the hootchie kootchie is an old (Old) dance where you shake your tail feathers or butt real hard. They get fresh water kept in the run and when they are free ranging I have water available where they hang out. I may put a little butter in their water. She normally has more diarrhea than constipation. She quit laying when she started molting so since she is still molting I didn’t know if she would be laying already. Otherwise she seems to have a pretty good appetite. A little less hearty since she started molting. But her personality is the same. She is still active

I have 5 buff orpingtons and was getting a good egg output till about 8 weeks ago when it go hot. Egg production has steadily dropped until this week when it stopped. Nothing in behavior {except feather loss} has changed and they get the best of feed and clean water with apple cider vinegar in it. They seem happy and healthy otherwise. I need to kno how long the no egg production will go on since it is now fall and the days will get shorter fast.

I have 5 buff orpingtons and was getting a good egg output till about 8 weeks ago when it go hot. Egg production has steadily dropped until this week when it stopped. Nothing in behavior {except feather loss} has changed and they get the best of feed and clean water with apple cider vinegar in it. They seem happy and healthy otherwise. I need to kno how long the no egg production will go on since it is now fall and the days will get shorter fast.
Hi there, hope you're enjoying BYC! :frow

ACV should not be given in hot weather. It's also WAY over rated and touted.

What is "good nutrition"? What is fed including treats and supplements? How old are they now?

By feather loss, do you mean they are molting? If so they may not return to lay for a while. Have you checked for lice or mites? Doing so after dark using a flashlight or headlamp will give you the best picture. Part feathers below the vent and on the abdomen and look for crawlies running away. Also take note if you see any "dried mud clumps" at the bases of any feathers as those would be eggs. Lastly, a fecal float at the vet to tell of you have an internal parasite load and if it need to be treated.

You say it's fall... Adding your general location to your profile will help peeps make the best suggestions possible at a glance. ;)

Hope you're not egg-less for too long! :fl

One of the 5 is 2-1/2yrs and the other 4 are 1-1/2yr. They get a 16% layer crumble, cracked corn with some sunflower seed, raisins, oyster shell and some mealworms for treats along with leftover lettuce and whatever they forrage. The acv is a constant and they tolerate well. I am in Missouri just west of St. Louis and have never had any health problems etc. About 8 weeks ago, egg production dropped down to 1 every other day total from all 5 and when they started to drop feathers last week, it stopped. I have talked to my neighbor who raises some 200 birds for eggs and he is confused too. I tried more protein to no avail. They look and act healthy otherwise. Coop is large and well ventilated with plenty of shelter from weather and room to roost.

Back
Top Bottom