I have no clue if scaly leg mites are gone

Jenjens

Songster
Jun 5, 2019
IL
Hello,

So I adopted a hen from a farm that has pretty bad scaly leg mites. I did the castor oil for a few days, treated the rest, and then as since she was not used to being handled, decided to do the ivermectin on her and everyone else. I did both doses. How do I know if they are gone? I mean, her legs look the same as before, and has been 3 months. It takes a while to see a change but really, how do I know? I sometimes see her biting her legs, but that could be just an itch. She hasn't laid any eggs, except one since October. She is somewhere between 1.5 to 3 years.

I have posted this question before, but did not get a lot of responses. I just want to make sure my lovely lady is healthy, as she is such a sweet girl.

Thank you.

Hello,

So I adopted a hen from a farm that has pretty bad scaly leg mites. I did the castor oil for a few days, treated the rest, and then as since she was not used to being handled, decided to do the ivermectin on her and everyone else. I did both doses. How do I know if they are gone? I mean, her legs look the same as before, and has been 3 months. It takes a while to see a change but really, how do I know? I sometimes see her biting her legs, but that could be just an itch. She hasn't laid any eggs, except one since October. She is somewhere between 1.5 to 3 years.

I have posted this question before, but did not get a lot of responses. I just want to make sure my lovely lady is healthy, as she is such a sweet girl.

Thank you.
If you have current photos you wish to share, we'll be glad to look at them.

You received a great answer from @dawg53 on your other thread. If you see her biting at her legs and you think the issue has not been resolved, then apply oil of your choice (castor, vaseline, Nu Stock, etc.) once a week and see how that goes.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-frim-scaly-leg-mites.1437909/post-23818225

If you have current photos you wish to share, we'll be glad to look at them.

You received a great answer from @dawg53 on your other thread. If you see her biting at her legs and you think the issue has not been resolved, then apply oil of your choice (castor, vaseline, Nu Stock, etc.) once a week and see how that goes.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-frim-scaly-leg-mites.1437909/post-23818225
Thank you. They look the same as that post. I tried to upload pictures again, but they are not loading for me to see my pics.

I've been trying to deal with a case of scaley leg too and it's frustrating not knowing if it's working.

If you want them to look better faster, you could probably encourage regrowth by doing a regimen of daily warm water soakings for half an hour, then slathering the legs/feet in Vaseline (after legs are totally dried off) at night when she goes to roost. I've seen progress photos/videos of people doing that for a week or two and eventually the scales soften to the point that they drop off and the new ones grow in quickly. Though to be fair, most of those videos were featuring pretty intense cases of SLM. Your case doesn't seem too severe.

Back
Top Bottom