I have no clue why my duck eggs are going bad so fast.

Apr 28, 2020
Montgomery County Pennsylvania
So I collect the eggs the day they were laid And put the clean eggs in the refrigerator and wash the dirty eggs, but we have sold the eggs about 3 days after they were laid and we still get complaints about bad eggs. Why could that be? I do alll the bad egg tests, like the float test, and candleing them before selling to make sure there are no cracks and that the yolk is still good.

put the clean eggs in the refrigerator and wash the dirty eggs, but we have sold the eggs about 3 days after they were laid and we still get complaints about bad eggs.

I have done that for 3 weeks after most of the eggs smelled good while a few weren’t good.

Could the washing be making the difference?

You could sort the washed eggs into different cartons than the unwashed ones, and see whether the problems go wtih just one group or the other.

Do the eggs all look alike? If you can tell them apart, see whether the bad eggs are all coming from one duck or kind of duck (large or small, green or white, round or elongated--whatever identifiers may exist for your set of ducks.) If the eggs are all alike, then of course this won't tell you anything.

Do the ducks free range at all? Maybe there's a particular duck that eats something strange and affects the egg flavor? (If it's smells or tastes strange, that could be seen as a "bad" egg.)

You could sort the washed eggs into different cartons than the unwashed ones, and see whether the problems go wtih just one group or the other.

Do the eggs all look alike? If you can tell them apart, see whether the bad eggs are all coming from one duck or kind of duck (large or small, green or white, round or elongated--whatever identifiers may exist for your set of ducks.) If the eggs are all alike, then of course this won't tell you anything.

Do the ducks free range at all? Maybe there's a particular duck that eats something strange and affects the egg flavor? (If it's smells or tastes strange, that could be seen as a "bad" egg.)
X2

My ducks are free ranged for about 4 hours a day.
there are slight differences between the eggs, because I have Kaki Campbell, Peking, Peking/Kaki Campbell mix, and Muscovy ducks laying. I will try that suggestion of putting them in different groups

Back
Top Bottom