I have no clue why my duck eggs are going bad so fast.

Could the washing be making the difference?

You could sort the washed eggs into different cartons than the unwashed ones, and see whether the problems go wtih just one group or the other.

Do the eggs all look alike? If you can tell them apart, see whether the bad eggs are all coming from one duck or kind of duck (large or small, green or white, round or elongated--whatever identifiers may exist for your set of ducks.) If the eggs are all alike, then of course this won't tell you anything.

Do the ducks free range at all? Maybe there's a particular duck that eats something strange and affects the egg flavor? (If it's smells or tastes strange, that could be seen as a "bad" egg.)
Yes washing eggs can strip a protective layer off. Which is why they don’t sell American washed eggs in commodities market in the UK.

So I collect the eggs the day they were laid And put the clean eggs in the refrigerator and wash the dirty eggs, but we have sold the eggs about 3 days after they were laid and we still get complaints about bad eggs. Why could that be? I do alll the bad egg tests, like the float test, and candleing them before selling to make sure there are no cracks and that the yolk is still good.
So I collect the eggs the day they were laid And put the clean eggs in the refrigerator and wash the dirty eggs, but we have sold the eggs about 3 days after they were laid and we still get complaints about bad eggs. Why could that be? I do alll the bad egg tests, like the float test, and candleing them before selling to make sure there are no cracks and that the yolk is still good.
Don’t clean the duck eggs until right before you plan to use or sell them. Fresh unwashed eggs have a thin protective membrane that allows you to store them for weeks without refrigeration. That’s why people who sale long distances usually bring a lot of them. If that isn’t working take a duck to the vet to make sure they’re not infected with something.

Could the washing be making the difference?

You could sort the washed eggs into different cartons than the unwashed ones, and see whether the problems go wtih just one group or the other.

Do the eggs all look alike? If you can tell them apart, see whether the bad eggs are all coming from one duck or kind of duck (large or small, green or white, round or elongated--whatever identifiers may exist for your set of ducks.) If the eggs are all alike, then of course this won't tell you anything.

Do the ducks free range at all? Maybe there's a particular duck that eats something strange and affects the egg flavor? (If it's smells or tastes strange, that could be seen as a "bad" egg.)
Yes absolutely 100%. Do not wash any eggs until you’re ready to eat or sell them. Washing strips off their protective membrane. Also tell your customers that they must refrigerate any washed eggs.

Back
Top Bottom