1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have no idea... does anybody?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Burton Wyandotte 601, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Burton Wyandotte 601

Burton Wyandotte 601 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    Georgia
    Hello. I have a Brahma hen that sounds congested and has a sick eye. The eye seems fine but the area around the eye is all puffed up, and in the corner of her eye is alot of bubbles. Also her beak(nares) are runny to. She is also very hot being that its fall, is that because her body is fighting something? What can I do for her. does anybody know whats wrong. She is such a sweet hen. ...Thanks

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Chronic Respiratory Disease/Mycoplasmosis, most likely, but could be other diseases. I'm not the one to ask about treatment since I would put down any with those symptoms due to the carrier nature of those type diseases.

3. Airilith

Airilith Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Has the bird been itching it's eye? And is it coughing?

4. Burton Wyandotte 601

Burton Wyandotte 601 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    Georgia
    Yea she has been itching her eye, and she opens her mouth often like she is yawning. I'm not sure about the coughing though. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by