I have NO IDEA how to build my flock w/o going overboard :(

Quote:
I know, right? itd be so much better than geo and alg and calc and trig and all that stuff they teach you in/throughout school, at least chicken math would serve a purpose!
lol.png

ETA: oh and btw, sorry, I know calc and trig and all that other stuff is really hard and does actually serve a purpose (sometimes, if you have a job that requires tons of math) but I just think CHICKEN math would be more practical for day to day use, maybe that should be an elective...
lol.png

Last edited:
We were starting out wanting three hens....went to the store for five chicks, came home with 12 and later added until we have the grand total of 16. We had 17 but lost one so of course we need to REPLACE that one and get a couple others beside........

I agree with the last two posts!

I am managing by having only one roo, which is of the breed that I intend to raise. I can tell the eggs by color with the breeds I chose. Hope that helps.

lol.png
but at least you're able to control it now, see i dont think i could, thats the problem, theres too many chickens to choose from.
barnie.gif
haha
lol.png
lau.gif

LOL - thanks, guys. Some practical advice, some chicken math advice. I think my eventual goal will be to weed down to 40-60 birds (I know, wide range), and a handful of roos of the breeds that I want to potentially breed. Most of the breeds I've chosen are decent layers, if not the *best*, so I don't think they are purely ornamental (except for the Polish, but they really are just for my husband - and they're bantams, so not much maintenance there). Some will function possibly for selling hatching eggs (I can segregate two sets at a time), but the rest of the time, they would free-range (much lower feed bill!) and provide eating eggs. We eat a lot of eggs, have a LOT of family that loves our eggs, and sell some at our workplaces, so another way for the chickens to earn their keep...

All of the rest of our animals are "ornamental" - so, I guess, even if I choose some less-than-functional chickens, they are still more functional than the goats or mini mule (who was supposed to protect the chickens, but failed miserably).

RIght now I have approx 90 - but that includes about a dozen roos that are simply waiting for their dates with destiny (growing out) and chicks whose fate is as of yet unknown (depends on color, sex, etc).

My flock roo is a BSL, he can stick around b/c I don't turn his eggs into offspring & he's good w/the girls.
I can keep a Marans roo and separate once or twice a year w/my 3-4 Marans pullets/hens to get some meat birds.
I can keep a BLRW roo (or two, depending on temperament and color) for "pretty" breeding purposes.
Will not keep a SLW, GLW or Am roo. Won't need those. Will have the pullets for color in the flock & eggs.

Not sure about the orps or cochins. WIll probably keep hens for eggs and roos will be eaten (both are heavy).

So...I guess I *do* have a plan.

I have 12 chickens...6 Buff O's and 6 RIR's (one is a roo). Although they are pretty, I still want some SLW or GLW or BLRW...just for their pretty factor (and eggs). DH said no, unless I lose some of my others. I know he is right...I don't NEED more chickens, I just WANT more chickens. So...I keep repeating the phrase I adopted about 2 years ago when the economy went belly up..."Buy what you need, not what you want." Over and over and over! It has saved me lots of money, but...I still want those chickens!

I'm with you, Oldchickenlady.

I'd love to get some of these ornamental birds but unless they could pay for themselves the way my other birds are, I can't really afford more. I currently sell enough eggs to support probably 50 percent of their costs in the winter and more than 100 percent the other months.

Best of luck to you in trying to control the "urge". At one time I had nearly 500 birds. I think I have raised every bird in the McMurray catalog. It is an addiction that you have to get control of. Right now I have just over 100 birds. The way I have been able to work it out where its not breaking my wallet is that I have my laying hens that provide what we eat and sell, then for the eye candy I decided to go the miniture route and raise bantams. They dont eat nearly as much and if you have a mean roo...lol who cares. They couldnt hurt a flea. They also dont take up near the space as full size birds.

Back
Top Bottom