I have no idea what I am doing

Pics
L

Like @Ravynscroft said a few rains will wash away the fertilizer you mentioned. I can't imagine a bit of grass will hurt him. He'll probly be too busy following you to eat very much. Don't let him eat any foreign object like screws, plastic, etc. This wouldn't appear to be an issue in your lovely yard.
I don't know about that. He seems to always find something in the house when he is out running around.

image.jpeg
Perfectly content draped over my arm lol

I would like to try and let him swim again. It just scared us when he was like a torpedo.

Just remember, Lucky is a waterfowl... ;) :D

Not sure if my post went through but I wanted to know if it's ok if he nibbles on grass etc because I'm sure he will

Yes, that will be fine... there is a thread I will find for you about good treats and stuff to stay away from too...

L

Like @Ravynscroft said a few rains will wash away the fertilizer you mentioned. I can't imagine a bit of grass will hurt him. He'll probly be too busy following you to eat very much. Don't let him eat any foreign object like screws, plastic, etc. This wouldn't appear to be an issue in your lovely yard.

X2

I don't know about that. He seems to always find something in the house when he is out running around.

And you always catch him, lol... the biggie is to watch out for tiny metal pieces he could swallow, there's something called hardware disease ducks can get from ingesting metal, zinc especially, as it is toxic to them...

Also when is is out of his cage he is feverishly grooming non stop. It's exhausting to watch him. He does it a lot in the cafe but more when he is out or we are holding him

He's about a week old now, yes? His feathers are most likely getting ready to sprout through under his down... he will be really, really itchy and once the pin feathers start coming out and he looks like a hedgehog, he may get crabby about being held... just fyi...

View attachment 1029259 Perfectly content draped over my arm lol

:love :love

@Ravynscroft - Could Steven apply some kind of oil to Lucky like a mother duck(oil spreader?) would?

Nope, anything artificial that we have access to could actually damage his down(feathers later) and hinder his development of his own oil gland...

Best thing to do is let him swim and groom and encourage him to work his oil gland to get it producing for himself...

Nope, anything artificial that we have access to could actually damage his down(feathers later) and hinder his development of his own oil gland...

Best thing to do is let him swim and groom and encourage him to work his oil gland to get it producing for himself...
He does that constantly always pecking at his gland then rubs is head in it and all over his body

Read this entire thread like a book and loved every second of it!!! I even recommended it to my mom, (who doesn't even own any feathered pets) and now she is a huge fan of Lucky! I have been planning to get/hatch call ducks next spring and I think I learned more from this thread than the past year of researching! So nice to see other people come together for the sake of animals :)

Back
Top Bottom