I have no idea what I am doing

Pics
Can anyone explain how we went from cute and fuzzy to terrible two's in a matter of two days? I tell him no and he turns his head sideways and looks at me with one eye and goes right for the object he just got yelled at for. He is running the show at this point lol

They grow up in the blink of an eye. I'm shocked you can tell that cute little face no. ;)

image.jpeg
This is what makes it all worth it.

I don't know if any of you listen to country music but I recently saw that Gary Allen has a pet duckling he took in that was abandoned!... I was starting to wonder if Steven was incognito and maybe they were one and the same until Michael joined us! Lol welcome michael BTW! Guess your not Gary Allen but your lucky looks just like his rescued duckling! Google search it its too cute! What a coincidence! I'd put up a link but I'm not that brilliant yet.:hmm

Sorry did not mean to leave you hanging I see your question was answered so now you know! Lol. Maybe others might have ideas as to how to predator proof the bottom? Or you can just keep it in the kitchen so lucky can help with the cooking! He already knows what a roasting pan is!

Lots of digging predators here. The ground is rocky here (can't bury the HW cloth), so I have a 2 foot apron of hardware cloth extended in all directions around all of my coops. Here's one of my tractors just after it was built, before tacking HW cloth down (I tack the HW cloth in place, and then the grass, etc. grows up through it, so it doesn't look like this long - you could also cover it if you wanted, for aesthetics). Attach it to the coop so there's no gap (the wood is soft on the type of coop you have, you could attach to a piece of lumber and fit the lumber against the side of the coop, or you could hold it down with a rim of paving stones against the coop - several options, the punch line is to create a barrier to digging 2 feet out). Don't forget the corners, too.
TractorComplete.JPG

- Ant Farm

Last edited:
Lots of digging predators here. The ground is rocky here (can't bury the HW cloth), so I have a 2 foot apron of hardware cloth extended in all directions around all of my coops. Here's one of my tractors just after it was built, before tacking HW cloth down (I tack the HW cloth in place, and then the grass, etc. grows up through it, so it doesn't look like this long - you could also cover it if you wanted, for aesthetics). Attach it to the coop so there's no gap (the wood is soft on the type of coop you have, you could attach to a piece of lumber and fit the lumber against the side of the coop, or you could hold it down with a rim of paving stones against the coop - several options, the punch line is to create a barrier to digging 2 feet out). Don't forget the corners, too.
View attachment 1032836
- Ant Farm
Thank you. I have a feeling the coop I have will last a year if that. If he sticks around I will need to do something more permanent like yours but I will definately be getting the cloth for the perimeter around his new home when we move it outside

I am guessing there is not a problem leaving their food and water outside in the run area a many of the enclosures I'm seeing here look like more outside than a closed in house. I also read that it's best to keep the food and water out of the house so it stays dry but I was wondering about evening when lucky gets locked in the house do I need to move the food and water inside with him?

Long story short. A Mallard had a nest in a neighbors garden. The chicks hatched on Friday May 12th and momma took her little ones and left one egg in the nest. Me neighbor watched all night into the next day and she did not return so I took the egg in after it sat out nearly 12 hours in about 45 degree weather and rain. By some miracle I shines a light in there and I saw something move. I quickly made an incubator out of a cardboard box, some towels and a heating pad and placed my little egg in there. Thankfully I found so much information on this site and did tuns of reading and tweaked my sad excuse for an incubator by adding wet paper towels to create humidity. I must admit I was not very hopeful at all it would survive beyond a day or so but here I am 10 days later and this baby has internally pipped and was chirping as of yesterday morning (Sunday May 21st) After reading of everything that can go wrong even when using a proper incubator I was crazy to say the least and made an pin sized hole in the shell in the air sac so it could breath because I could not breath myself I was so scared when I hear that chirping coming from inside. Now I can feel the baby banging around inside but so far it has not broken the shell that I can see. It seems to be almost 12 hours since it pipped internally and I am at a loss as to what I should do. I know I should do nothing at this point but please some advice. I know nothing about any of this all I know is that I am already in love with this amazing little creature and need some help as to next steps
Wow - well done you!

Back
Top Bottom