I have no idea what I am doing

I have raised many ducks, but never for eggs. I always let them set and hatch their own, and pretty much stuck with breeds that did so. But they say that with chickens, egg production decreases ca. 20% over the previous year's production after each molt. So I imagine that the case would be similar for ducks.

I would think it's perfectly normal. Also probably as in chickens, each year they lay less eggs. You mean she laid an egg almost every day last year? That's quite impressive!
It's nice to see them again! Glad to have an update!
No she started in March and stopped in June but only missed one day each month. Glad to hear it slows down. I wish she wouldn’t lay any. I’m always worried for her lol.

I have raised many ducks, but never for eggs. I always let them set and hatch their own, and pretty much stuck with breeds that did so. But they say that with chickens, egg production decreases ca. 20% over the previous year's production after each molt. So I imagine that the case would be similar for ducks.
Good I’ll rest easy when she stops

Last edited:
Good I’ll rest easy when she stops
If you were to let her sit on her eggs and raise a brood of ducklings she would naturally stop laying while she does that, no? Don't :smack me! Haha

edit added - I take the eggs from my pigeons and replace them with fake ones for them to sit on when I don't want more babies. Otherwise, if I just take them the hen will lay more right away which is stressful healthwise and depletes calcium.

Back
Top Bottom