i have no idea what im doing =]

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lopezfamily4o9, Mar 10, 2009.

1. lopezfamily4o9

lopezfamily4o9 Hatching

Mar 10, 2009
    ok so i decided i wanted to raise some chicken for fresh eggs in my backyard. i ordered 4 barred rock hens. should i get a rooster? i read that they protect the hens and such. and also can it be a different kind of rooster and introduced/raised w the baby chicks at the same time?

2. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Songster

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    you don't have to have a rooster for eggs. Most predators will kill a rooster about as fast as a hen. If your limited on space or have neighbors that would be bothered by crowing I wouldn't get a rooster. BTW...Welcome to BYC. Good luck and hope i helped.

3. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

Hi! My five Barred Rock pullets that I got last August are doing great - and there isn't a rooster for miles around here! I do have a 6' tall chain link fence around their coop - and at night they are locked in the coop for safety.

I love how beautiful roosters are - and was tempted. But I think the noise would annoy my neighbors, and I didn't want to deal with the possibility of getting an ornary rooster - which would be my luck!

Good luck with you peeps!

4. lopezfamily4o9

lopezfamily4o9 Hatching

Mar 10, 2009
    great! is there good any advice for me?? im bringing them home as baby chicks and have a garage...should i keep them in there? like in a box? any advice helps =] i want to do this right.

5. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    They will need some sort of brooder (just basically a chickie play pen) and a box will work just fine for that. They will also need a heat lamp for awhile until they feather out. Enjoy your new babies and [​IMG]

6. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

There are many here with much more experience than me...I have been thier student here for the last year [​IMG] Last August I started with five day old chickds purchased from my local feed store. It went easy & well - and I was HOOKED! On February 18th I received my order for 16 chicks from Ideal....then bought 10 more from my feed store...then bought 2 more from the feed store the next week - for a total of 28 right now (plus the 5 older girls)

Here is what I have done:

* I kept all my chicks in 2'x3' cages leftover from when my husband was a small child (there were two cages). They were crude, but were sturdy and safe - made with wood and hardware cloth.
    * I hung an infrared heat lamp and adjusted it so one side was @ 90F and raised it up each week to lower the temp by 5F each week. They are at 3 weeks old today & my temp is at 80F and will stay there until they finish feathering out.
    * The chicks stayed in the above mentioned cage until 2 and a half weeks - then I moved them to a larger "grow out" coop/run. They have 25square feet of space & plenty of room to grow and move around.
    * I moved the heat lamp out with them (like I said, still at 80F) to this bigger nursery area.
    * I have a hanging chick waterer and a hanging chick feeder....it's important to have chick sized items so they don't drown in their waterer - or even just get wet/chilled in it.
    * I use pine shavings on the floor (beginning around the 3rd day). Prior to their 3rd day, I just used old towels so they could get thier legs under them...newspaper is slippery and shavings can be a challenge for their strength and coordination.
    * I use chick starter WITH antibiotic (to prevent coccidiosis).
    * I clean their waterer twice per day and bleach it once per day.
    * I offer them a little bit of chick grit once per day.
    * Keep drafts off the babies.
    * Watch for poopy butts and clean with warm, wet washclothe as needed if needed.
    * The sleep frequently for short naps during the day. When they sleep, they look dead...but they're fine.
    * Sometimes you do everything right and you still lose some. It happens.

7. Sequin

Sequin Songster

May 20, 2008
    Read and learn as much as you can. There is a LOT of valuable info. on this site in relation to pretty much any topic. For my young chicks I am using a really large rubbermaid tote as a brooder with a heat lamp hanging over one end for warmth. I insist, to my husbands dismay, on keeping the chicks inside for the first few weeks at the very least. I know my house is much less drafty than the outside or in the garage. Too, young chicks can stress very easily and I figure the more comfortable and happy they are, the less stressed they will be when moved around.

Congrats on your new chicks and welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: