i have no quail egg hatching trays

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jrobertson, Aug 13, 2010.

1. jrobertson

jrobertson Robertson's Rare Poultry

Apr 24, 2010
    NW Alabama
    alright fellow BYCers. i've got a small problem and a solution. just thought i'd ask and see what everyone thought about it. i raise lots of ducks, i mean lots and some guineas and chickens. i have successfully hatched, ducks, geese, chickens, bantams, guineas, and turkeys. no prob. i have never hatched pheasants, chukars, or quail. i understand that the process is almost identical but, i don't have any quail egg trays. i have all 30 of the eggs in a standard chicken egg tray and used a cottonball in each to keep the egg from rolling around in my dickie incubator. do you think this will work? the only thing that raises concern is, will the egg still get the air it needs with the cottonball touching it on one side. they are bobwhite eggs i am hatching for a friend. i am going to get several breeds next spring and will have hatching trays soon. do you think this will work for right now?

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    That works fine for me. I don't even use cotton balls. I have hatched hundreds in chicken egg trays until I got the quail trays.

3. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    You know that rigid green styrofoam type material folks use in floral displays? Not the fine grained stuff that crumbles to the touch, but the much more rigid variety. I was short of quail egg holders for about 8 eggs so I punched some holes in that with pipe of the approriate size and zip tied it to the turner shelf. Worked just fine.

[​IMG]

Cost was about $4, and I had enough to make room for about 36 eggs on 4 trays. I use a Giant.

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    The Air Cell Is Located In The Top 10-15% Of The Egg, So Long As It Isnt Occluded That Will Work Fine [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by