I have one Duck, will I need another?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by morgangirl1, Aug 19, 2013.

1. morgangirl1

morgangirl1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2013
    In the sticks of KS
    My sweet little DeDe duckling is the only duck I have but she seems fairly happy. At first we had two but then her freind got eaten by a raccoon with the head sitting outside in the morning. But now she is still happy and my little girl, or I hope she is a girl, but I was wondering, as she gets older will she see our geese couple and want another duck for a pair?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Ducks are social, and generally it's good to have more than one. At the same time, people who are able to do so successfully keep a single duck. But single ducks can become very sad if they are not with their person 24/7.

3. mothergooz

mothergooz Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2013
    Vernon Hills, IL
    I'd get her a friend. I'd get her a few. If she's that sweet she deserves some friends to hang with.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Ducks are flock animals and do best with others of their own kind, no matter how much dedication a human provides we cannot replace the behaviour nor language of another duck.

If you do not want to breed, you can get her a girl friend and they'd be quite happy. Really depends on what you can accommodate.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  5. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    I'd get her another friend for those times you can't be with her it will benefit her greatly. Hope you raccoon proofed so he doesn't come back for another kill.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by