I have one of those questions that I think I should know the answer to

emvickrey

ChowDown Silkie Farm
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Hornbeak, Tennessee
I have 9 green EE eggs in the bator and they are on day 15. I tried to candle a few days ago but couldn't see a thing. The shells are either thick or the green is too dark. They do feel heavy as if there is something growing and I vaugly saw the air cell bu just barely. I don't have a real candler. I have a modified large flash light that works best in a pitch dark room.

I noticed this morning on one of the eggs that there are some spots. I didn't open the window and get it out for a better look, but i'm thinking it may be rotten. I don't smell anything and I usualy do if I have a bad one in there.

What I want to know is there a way I can see through these dark eggs. I've never incubated green eggs before and the brown ones are hard enough to see through. I've only opened the window of the bator to check a few eggs and closed it right up as soon as i got the egg out. That was about 3 times. I didn't candle all the eggs as I wasn't seeing anything in the first 3. And I attempted this twice. The bator is sitting in an airconditioned room that stays around 76 to 80 degrees and it doesn't get bumped or moved.

I am using a LG with a fan. I have a home made turner and I turn them 3 times a day. My temps stay around 100.2 and 100.4. My humidity has gotten as low as 44% and as high as 53%. So it has been in that tange but mostly around 46 to 48%. I put too much water in it last time.

I really want a good hatch, 100% would be wonderful since there are only 9 in there. They are fertile. This is her first time laying and her first dozen or so eggs we ate and I know they where fertile. I started saving them and put them in when I had 6. The other 3 I added as she laid them. I didn't wash them and when I carried them in the house I was very careful not to jostle them at all. I've done everyting I can think of to protect these eggs for a good hatch.

Any advice on this one?

pop.gif

I'd like to know as well! I can't see squat in my ee eggs even with a super high powered halogen lamp from the bottom AND a mag light on the top. This was the best we could see on day 14: http://krausdesigns.com/images/Chickens/DSCF4273a.JPG

I use a slide projector to candle mine. It's a 300 watt bulb and works great. There isn't much you can't see with one of those.

Not sure about the spots, but I'd remove the egg in question and take a close whiff.

Hmmmmmmmmmm...............
Wonder where I can get a cheap slide projector?? Time to make a thrift store cruise...

My halogen lamp was 250 watt, guess it just wasn't enough.

Quote:
I did and it's fine. the spots i was seeing was a little dirt that I guess I hadn't noticed before. I went and smelled them all after I wrote that and they are fine as far as that goes. First time I opened the bator top. Temp went down to 98.1. I'm sure that did't hurt.
hu.gif
bow.gif

Quote:
There is this "thrift shop" in town. Maybe they will have one. I'll ask my bro n law if he has something first. He has sheds full of "stuff". They are just packed with stuff. He is a terrible pack rat.

Back
Top Bottom