I have questions about the penedesenca

pattgal

Songster
9 Years
Apr 20, 2010
New Brunswick, Canada
I am ordering some black penne's in the next couple of days and I'm wondering...how are the roosters towards people??
I've totally tamed my EE but that doesn't necessarily mean I'll be able to tame another breed.
I want them #1 for their pretty eggs but also because they are so flighty It would be perfect for me. I want a bird that can free range nervously,
roll.png

anyway, another question I have. because of their temperament how well are they gonna do locked up in the winter time???

I only have a couple of black Pene pullets (laying) and some chicks, no adult cocks at the moment. My adult girls were raised indoors go out daily and go to roost every night on their own before I lock them up for the night . Simply raise them in the coop you want them to live in and they will go in on their own every night. Once winter comes there should be no problem with keeping them in as long as they have enough room. Mine are not pets and have they no wish to be pets unlike my Cubalayas who are more confidant . The Penes are excellent layers however and I really like them. As to your other post re "pure" , just cull the birds not measuring up , for egg color and production, ear lobe color, correct comb , breed type etc as you would with any breed. Hope this helps/

I have wheaton and partridge Penedesencas that free range during the summer and are locked up during the winter. They seem to do fine locked up. Roosters aren't any more aggressive then any other breed and hens are fine too. They are locked up over 4 months of the year. I don't keep many roosters (max 4) in a 8x16' coop with 30+ hens. None of my chickens are really pets either but none are mean either.
Aprille

[email protected]218 :

I have wheaton and partridge Penedesencas that free range during the summer and are locked up during the winter. They seem to do fine locked up. Roosters aren't any more aggressive then any other breed and hens are fine too. They are locked up over 4 months of the year. I don't keep many roosters (max 4) in a 8x16' coop with 30+ hens. None of my chickens are really pets either but none are mean either.
Aprille

I'm happy to know about the roosters being similar to other breeds because I have young kids that will tend to chase the chickens around the yard. I wouldn't want it to attack the kids.
as for the coop mine is ~6x10 and I am expecting ~12 penes give or take the hatch rate (I ordered 24). Some will be roo's so I'll probably end up with 5 or 6 when all is done.​

Back
Top Bottom